String Hack #1 String to Nock Fit

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
stumper

String Hack #1 String to Nock Fit

#1 Post by stumper »

This is the start of a series of tips and tricks for your strings. I am going to try and do at least one a week (depending on work). All of these will also be available on my site

String building like many things in life is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be. One thing that should not be overlooked is the string to nock fit.  How tight is too tight? How loose should you go?

There are many different thicknesses of serving material which can affect string to nock fit (as well as strand count of the string).  And honestly, some experimentation might be in order to determine which combination is better for your setup.  Some schools of thought say that you should adjust the nock to fit the string and I have tried this.  I am sure there are multiple people that would disagree with me, but I think you should adjust the string to the nock. 

Why?? I am glad you asked!  When you adjust each individual nock you increase the margin of error.  Additionally, if you adjust one side of the nock to the left more than the right (or vice-versa), you can easily alter the flight of an arrow.  Now, I realize we are not shooting compounds here but there is no need to do this.  So, how can you adjust every nock perfectly?? The answer is you don't have to, by adjusting the string you can make sure it fits all the nocks perfectly!

There is no way as a string maker that I can know everyone's needs, so here is what I do.  Typically unless otherwise specified, I will use a standard nylon .17 serving, which generally has a good fit for your thinner nocks.  I can, of course, use a thicker braided serving but have found that the nylon is a good all-around serving.  From here if you nock fit is too loose, you can simply use overhand knots alternating up and down with a piece of dental floss (unscented) between the nocking points.  Simply cut the tag ends, use a match to burn the ends flush and test.  If the fit is good, coat the floss with a thin layer of super glue.  Once the glue is dry you are ready to go and this hack will last the life of the string.  It is better to be on the loose side than on the tight side but you obviously don't want to lose your arrow at draw either!  How tight is too tight? You should be able to freely spin the string without resistance once the nock is on the string.  I'll take a video shortly and demo the process!  Good luck!
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: String Hack #1

#2 Post by Graps »

8-)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

jd-xlt

Re: String Hack #1 String to Nock Fit

#3 Post by jd-xlt »

Thanks Dave
I've tied on dental floss, but never coated with super glue. Of course it wears the floss. Thanks for the hack.

John
"Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day,"

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I use the old rule of thumb for nock tension as follows;
1) string your bow and nock an arrow.
2) holding the bow so the arrow in pointing at the ground (preferably WITHOUT a broadhead!) hold the tip of the arrow about a foot off the ground. If the arrow falls off the string when pointed down, it's too loose of a nock fit.
3) using your thumb and finger, "thump" the string below the nockset. You know, like you used to "thump" kids on the head when you were in grade school? :lol:
4) If the arrow stays nocked, it's too tight of a fit. If thumping it releases it, it's just about right.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#5 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 pm I use the old rule of thumb for nock tension as follows;
1) string your bow and nock an arrow.
2) holding the bow so the arrow in pointing at the ground (preferably WITHOUT a broadhead!) hold the tip of the arrow about a foot off the ground. If the arrow falls off the string when pointed down, it's too loose of a nock fit.
3) using your thumb and finger, "thump" the string below the nockset. You know, like you used to "thump" kids on the head when you were in grade school? :lol:
4) If the arrow stays nocked, it's too tight of a fit. If thumping it releases it, it's just about right.
This is a great way to do it!

Shadowhntr

#6 Post by Shadowhntr »

I use an appropriate diameter braided fishing line for nock points with super glue. Easily available just down the road at WalMart...and it's Cheap for the amount you get. If I were doing lots of them, I'd pribably just use appropriate sized serving but braided fishing line works great and is dang tough. I wonder if it cpuld be used for this?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm I use an appropriate diameter braided fishing line for nock points with super glue. Easily available just down the road at WalMart...and it's Cheap for the amount you get. If I were doing lots of them, I'd pribably just use appropriate sized serving but braided fishing line works great and is dang tough.
Very nice. I just use small scrap peices of d97 or b55 for nocking points. One of my string hacks is gonna be how to do tie on nocks.

Shadowhntr

#8 Post by Shadowhntr »

I forgot to add my last question and just edited it in...

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:40 pm I use an appropriate diameter braided fishing line for nock points with super glue. Easily available just down the road at WalMart...and it's Cheap for the amount you get. If I were doing lots of them, I'd pribably just use appropriate sized serving but braided fishing line works great and is dang tough. I wonder if it cpuld be used for this?
I don't know. I am sure it could be. Like you though I know my setup and I just use the right size for my nocks. After a lot of experimenting, I know that a 12 strand d97 string with a .25 braided serving fits a bohning classic nock perfectly.

Shadowhntr

#10 Post by Shadowhntr »

Whats the formula for super nocks??? Mine are a shade too tight as it is!

Return to “DIY section”