Making hauling easier

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Ron Kulas

Making hauling easier

#1 Post by Ron Kulas »

Due to the lay of the land on my new lease and because there is a wide and shallow river running through the entire property, I picked up a sled to get stands in and deer out. I should be able to float a good amount of weight in the sled. Because I will also be dragging it with an ATV and by hand on hard, dry ground as well as snow, I opted to add thick plastic wear strips to the bottom to extend the life of the sled and to make it track better. I will also add a pull rope and rope tie points all around the top rim of the sled to lash items to the sled so they don't fall out.

I used a heat gun to shape the strips of plastic I cut from a larger sheet.

I bolted the strips to the sled.

I added eye bolts and on the inside of the sled, a strip of steel to spread out the pulling load rather than the two small holes that were in the sled when I bought it. Because I will also make a rigid tow bar, I used quick connect links to the eye bolts to make swapping easier.

The pull rope is beefed up in the middle with clear tubing and then wrapped with gorilla tape so it wont wear through when pulled with the ATV and to increase the diameter for a more comfortable grip when pulling by hand.

The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: Making hauling easier

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sharp idea 💡, now to make a Deer willing to ride in it, your bow may be required for that!

Elkman
Site Admin

#3 Post by Elkman »

Very nice! That thing should work good and last a long time.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

White Falcon

#4 Post by White Falcon »

That is the cats meow.

Return to “DIY section”