Replacing the mohair

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
elkslayer4x5

Replacing the mohair

#1 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

As I sit here, foot tapping, waiting for Tenring's string to get here, and my Wapiti order to arrive, I'm thinking of replacing the rest, as close as possible.
I didn't see any better forum to post this restoration question in.
Where can I get the mohair or whatever the rest is made? This looks to the original rest and strike plate. I like the way this green mohair looks, can't quite say the same for the white strike plate, but there's a Tandy store about 20 minutes north of me, so green leather won't be a problem. It does show a grove that arrows have made, but it isn't peeling anywhere on either piece, and I more than likely will be able to used it this season. Bear opens in August, Deer & Elk, last week of Aug, Cougar open all year.
The rest of this bow can be seen in this post; viewtopic.php?f=65&t=4440
Classic rest.jpg
Classic rest.jpg (46.8 KiB) Viewed 622 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Replacing the rmohair

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

I usually just buy the Bear Archery 'Bear Hair' set which comes with the self stick rest and a back plate.
Aim small, miss small!

Greg Felty

#3 Post by Greg Felty »

Lost nation archery might have it.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

elkslayer4x5

#4 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Greg Felty wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:48 pm Lost nation archery might have it.
Good call, Thanks. It's brown, any chemical I can spill on it get it green? Really should have said I wanted the same look, well except for that butt ugly strike plate. :(

Greg Felty

Re: Replacing the mohair

#5 Post by Greg Felty »

Maybe some cheap dye from wallymart or a fabric store. Maybe someone else will think of something.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

elkslayer4x5

#6 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Greg Felty wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:45 am Maybe some cheap dye from wallymart or a fabric store.
I'm sure that would work, maybe I can find some green Velcro. Thanks Greg.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

RIT dye seems to work quite well on natural turkey feathers from what I've seen. Maybe try to dye a standard rest?
Aim small, miss small!

elkslayer4x5

#8 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

I'm not to sure any dye could turn dark brown to any shade of green. Most shelf replacement material is dark, isn't it? However I do think shooting off an elevated rest is more forgiving, easier to tune. So maybe a feather rest? Have never shot off a feather rest which I could make green.
Naw, I over thinking this. :lol: I'm an instinctive shooter, let me shoot a dozen or so and I'll adjust! :D

Return to “DIY section”