Built a tool

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
Grizzly

Re: Built a tool

#41 Post by Grizzly »

The spiral white with the "reverse thrust" all on. Since I've never hunted small game with a bow, I've never gotten into flu flu variations. I made a few but mostly for the novelty or for whatever the reason was at the time. I always did enjoy building arrows. I started with choppers and never did try a burner. I hear you'd better do it outside if there's a woman in the house.

Does that wire fatigue out if you change it much on the burner?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#42 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Not in my experience, just need to be careful with them. Have never wore one out, you do need to allow a little for the ribbon's expansion when it's hot. The shape of the ribbon (think a C with vertical ends) keeps it stiffer when hot. Only thing that happens to the ribbons them getting bent, very hard to smooth out a kink, and cheap shipping! :(
Got these last month. :x
ribbons.jpg
ribbons.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 1205 times

elkslayer4x5

#43 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

elkslayer4x5 wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:37 pm
Grizzly wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:17 pm Interesting. I never thought of that.
Which? :)
Grizzly wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:12 am The spiral white with the "reverse thrust" all on.
Gave em a test today. 27 yards. I held point on with both.
Spiral drop test.jpg
Spiral drop test.jpg (195.54 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

Grizzly

#44 Post by Grizzly »

So point on with a regular arrow at 27 yards should hit close to center for you? Meaning these hit that low? So you will have to remember to aim high? Which would probably mean for me that unless I practiced long and hard with them "only", I would still most likely have many misses - low - because I would keep reverting to my lifelong hold.

I've always been terrible at remembering Kentucky windage with guns when hunting. I always seem to just put the sights where they should naturally be and shoot. That's why a revolver with fixed sights that does not shoot to point of aim, but to the left or the right, is not worth having.

For target shooting, I can usually remember to compensate, but when say a rabbit or bird gets up all of a sudden, I never or rarely seem to remember. Here in Illinois we are only allowed to hunt deer with shotguns. So I would usually set one up for a long 150+ yard shot, meaning it would hit high up close. Naturally, most of my deer would be shot very high in the top of the lungs cause I'd forget to aim a little lower. Once they allowed muzzleloaders also, I switched to more accurate inline .50

So, how will you utilize these on game? Will you have to remember to always hold over? They certainly shoot straight enough.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#45 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

:lol: I tried a point on field point on the black rectangle, It hit at the top of the bag behind, so I'm guessing that my point on with this setup will be somewhere in the 40s, So that how far those spirals drop.
I don't used hold overs, these arrows are for shots in the 10- 20 yards range. Specifically those roadie grouse that hop up into the nearest tree and try to hide. I'll be shooting these skywards. Hopefully the arrows have enough weight (520 gn) to make back through any foliage when they fall. I have no way to test but think that they will not go over 40 yards straight up. Gonna act like a parachute when coming down.

Elkman
Site Admin

#46 Post by Elkman »

Very nice Don!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “DIY section”