My not so blunt

For all the things we make ourselves for the outdoor world that are not covered in the other specific DIY area.
elkslayer4x5

My not so blunt

#1 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Being highly envious of the wingnut small game point available to those who shoot arrows with inserts, I copied the idea using .357 mag cases, 6 x 1/2" metal screws and of course, wing nuts. 135 grains. I removed the spent primer, and pre drilled the flash hole to 3/32". After the screwgun battery (old Mikita) recharges, I'll mix up some JB weld and put a dab in each primer pocket, and cover the headstamp. Yep, I Dremeled the wings. :D Can hardly wait to fire one at the grouse hereabouts.
Not so blunts.jpg
Not so blunts.jpg (73.58 KiB) Viewed 663 times

Hill billy

Re: My not so blunt

#2 Post by Hill billy »

Lol !! Well elk slayer I’m beginning to think you have too much time on your hands. But I’m really jealous :D I like the concept.

Hill billy

#3 Post by Hill billy »

A guy might fully assemble one and take a bench grinder to the wing nuts if one is available. Dremeles wear me out. Just a thought. I have always shot the little stars that screw on behind the field point. There cheap and effective. But I don’t know if they are still available. And there for screw in tips. But Your idea would be a great alternative for woodies.

Elkman
Site Admin

#4 Post by Elkman »

Looks like they should do the job. Do you have the ground squirrels out there to practice on?
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

elkslayer4x5

#5 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Hill billy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:45 pm Lol !! Well elk slayer I’m beginning to think you have too much time on your hands. But I’m really jealous :D I like the concept.
:lol: Well, it's off season, and in case you didn't notice I live in the Pacific Northwest, the "wet' side of the Cascades. It was pouring when I made these. :D No bench grinder here. :(
Elkman wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:57 pm Looks like they should do the job. Do you have the ground squirrels out there to practice on?
We've got 'em, and coyotes too! So ground squirrels live in communities or not at all, very tough to get with in range.. lots of tree rats though, part of the reason I like the wing point, isn't going to stick into the tree, made 6, 3 of them will go on flu flus. The wood grouse when flushed flies a short ways and uses is coloration to hide. They're tasty, ground squirrel, well, song dogs like em. :lol:
More tempting are the geese that fly over within range for about half of the year, but it takes a federal duck stamp to take that shot. ;)

elkslayer4x5

#6 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Hill billy wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:55 pm I have always shot the little stars that screw on behind the field point. There cheap and effective. But I don’t know if they are still available.
They are available, and I thought about those, but it seems they need something for initial penetration. These are a cheap alternative, had the brass. wing nuts & screws came to $1.20, way cheaper than Judo points.

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

Really neat small game heads. Much cheaper than some I've bought in the past.

Grouse with a bow. Now that sounds like a challenge in stalking for a shot on the ground. I can't image how many arrows would be lost trying to shoot one on the wing - ruffed grouse that is. I remember how many loads of shot I sent sailing into the woods as the Ruffed Grouse we hunted went darting and swerving among every tree and bush in sight. It looks like from the charts that Oregon and Washington states may have more than one species. The site I looked at doesn't mention a woods grouse so I imagine you call one of those listed by that name locally. Which one are you referring to. I'm only familiar with the ruffed grouse from when I lived in Northern NJ and the Catskills of upstate NY.
http://www.grousepartners.org/forest-grouse
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

elkslayer4x5

#8 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

Ruffled,The background colored one :!: They're varying shades of gray and brown. They are nimble flyers but are usually gliding. Their local name is road chicken. Always on roads, after the gravel. State was going back and forth on method of take, allowed rimfires for a while, Pretty easy to sniper one with a scoped .17.
But you see them in the timber, and as mentioned, rarely extended flights. Fun! But do need some limited flight arrows.
Spiral wrapped full length bright color helps with losses, but loss is the biggest reason for the cheap head. There are several ways you can limit the flight.
Part of difficulty in talking them is seeing them first. I very rarely see one sitting still, except on the side of the road. Those birds, you can try to stalk, but they usually dive off the road side and glide down into timber. And depending on where you are, you may want to follow, sometimes not. :o

White Falcon

#9 Post by White Falcon »

Those will work fine.

jaydee2trad

#10 Post by jaydee2trad »

Back in the 80s I made them that way plus made some with a 1/2 bolt reversed to where it was sticking out the wingnut. I sharpened a few too just because. had a lot of 38 and 357 brass back then...still do as well as 357 MAX.

Return to “DIY section”