Allowable topics of discussion

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Allowable topics of discussion

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Recently, the topic has come up on the forum about what is "allowable" for discussion. It seems several members have left the forum in disagreement over another member's discussion regarding what is, or what isn't "traditional"; these members feel that being a traditional hunting forum, discussion of anything outside the boundaries of traditional bowhunting should not be allowed or tolerated. While this is, and remains a traditional bowhunting forum and we should all strive to keep it focused around the harvesting of game using traditional gear, slight departures or variations on this theme are acceptable provided they are placed in the proper area.
So...where are the proper areas?
Well, there are several.
1) First is "CAMPFIRE". The Campfire is a forum for folks to just chat about daily life and events...just as you might do at a campfire in hunting camp or at a rendezvous. As long as the basic forum rules are adhered to (to review the forum rules, see this link:)
http://www.tradhunter.com/tradhunter/fo ... m.php?f=33
you can pretty much chat about whatever you find of interest; weather, your job, your car or truck, family life or even that non-traditional (gasp!) bow you or your buddy has. We do ask that you restrict off-topic discussions from the other mainstream forum topics and keep all discussions civil, if not downright friendly, bearing in mind that this is a family-oriented forum. With that in mind, please do not go on a political rant; these lead to heated arguments and bad feelings all around.

2) Next is the "DIY" (do it yourself) forum. There are a number of DIY folks here making all sorts of home made equipment other than bows and arrows (incidentally, bow or arrow builds should be in the "THE BOWYER" section and arrows should be in the "ALL ABOUT ARROWS" section). If you make teepees, widgets, digital dangulators, home smokers, or even build your own rockets this would be the place to put it. Again; for the most part, try to keep topics focused on trad hunting (that is, after all, why we are here!) but putting them here will keep them segregated from the rest of the forum.

Lastly, and most importantly; let's remember that no two trad hunters will share the exact same viewpoint. Healthy, informed debate is welcomed and actually encouraged (a fanatical rant does not constitute healthy, informed debate) but respect the other members' viewpoint and opinion and his or her right to voice it even if you do not agree. And if you listen to the other point of view rather than expending all your energy thinking up snappy comebacks and nasty things to call their ancestors, you might find yourself agreeing with some of their viewpoints, or at the least, understanding their stance on the matter even if you disagree.
Some of the other traditional forums out there have extremely strict codes of discussion that limit the scope of discussion to rigid guidelines and promptly chastise any violators or edit/delete their non-conformant postings. We don't wish to be "topic-Nazis" here and want you to enjoy the relaxed, laid back atmosphere that Larry has provided us with here. No need to get wrapped too tightly; it's a forum, after all. Let's all enjoy the discussion, friendship and camaraderie here and leave the bickering and fighting for the other guys!
Aim small, miss small!

Ron Kulas

Re: Allowable topics of discussion

#2 Post by Ron Kulas »

Well written words.
The Joy is in the doing.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

Thanks Captain, good explanation.
I am not always thrilled by what I read as I'm sure others may not enjoy everything I have to say. But I find it easy to just move on to another topic or discussion. I respect all of you and figure you got as much of a chance of being right as I have. Anyone who disagrees with me will find themselves to be in good company because there are some fine folks out there who also disagree with me! As Ron said on another thread, if I don't like something or disagree with it I just move on by. I am very hurt that we lost what I consider to be good friends.
I check in here daily but sometimes don't say anything, if there is fussing going on I won't, I'll just stay silent and hope it works itself out.

Kybownut

#4 Post by Kybownut »

Thanks cap,n.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

It had to be said, fellers!
Aim small, miss small!

Gamestalker

#6 Post by Gamestalker »

I never have understood why some people have to turn forums into something confrontational. If I don't like something that I read, I might make a comment & then move on to something else. But, more times that not I'll just move on without saying anything. I go to forums to relax & enjoy free time & I really don't enjoy arguing. :roll:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Gamestalker wrote:I never have understood why some people have to turn forums into something confrontational. If I don't like something that I read, I might make a comment & then move on to something else. But, more times that not I'll just move on without saying anything. I go to forums to relax & enjoy free time & I really don't enjoy arguing. :roll:
I really wish more people took that stance, Al.
They are written words. If you don't like a book you are reading, would you yell and scream, throw things around the house and maybe dash off a death threat to the author? I certainly hope not! More likely, you'll close the book and get up and do something productive. Same goes for here; just leave the computer for a bit or move on to a different topic.
Or, you can debate. Calmly, rationally, and with intelligence.
Ranting never helped solve anything.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Please note the addition of a new forum; "Off-Topic Discussion" which allows the discussion of topics having nothing to do with trad archery. Friends oft-times discuss things in hunting camp having nothing to do with hunting; same applies here. We do expect the same code of courtesy, civility and respect that all the other forums require.

http://www.tradhunter.com/tradhunter/fo ... m.php?f=77
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

Hey how's come this link don't work?
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Crazynate

#10 Post by Crazynate »

I enjoy this forum a ton. I don't care if guys talk about stuff non traditional bowhunting related. I was on another site awhile and it was confrontational among different groups. If you had an out of the box way of doing something the admin would criticize and embarrass your post and that just creates a bad vibe. Traditional bowhunting is supposed to be FUN. That's it. Doesn't matter if one guy likes carbons and the next wood only. We're all on the same team. I hope this forum grows bigger each week and it becomes the number 1 place for archery. The difference is i believe this forum is run by good down the earth people not a rich snob like who expects everything his way like on another forum (won't say which). I love it here.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Return to “New Member Check In”