Another new member

Grizzly

Another new member

#1 Post by Grizzly »

Hi. I'm old enough to remember Fred Bear on TV and even remember seeing Howard Hill clips played. Sitting back and looking at the monitor and the Black Widow Bows since 1957 add, I realize that I had already been shooting bows for a few years as a youngster by then. I missed out on all the leagues and popularity of archery in it's heyday. Somewhere in the mid 60's Dad came home with two used Bear recurves for himself and us boys to begin our enjoyment of archery and bow hunting. It's a pastime that seems to have never ended. Glad I've found another site that enjoys it all.
Attachments
Shooting my Uncle's longbow at about 7 in the mid 50's.
Shooting my Uncle's longbow at about 7 in the mid 50's.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

Re: Another new member

#2 Post by stumper »

Welcome friend!! Hope you enjoy the site as much as we do. We are a smaller community but I really like that! What kind of bows are you rocking these days??
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

Age and injuries have pretty much changed things so that now I'm shooting the bows I bought for my wife, 2 girls and Grand kids, and the youngsters who are now young men and women are shooting my bows.

The most versatile and most used bow is an old Warf based on a Hoyt TD3 riser using ilf limbs. I have a set of the lighter ones that came off of a Daala that 3 Rivers sells as well as a set of carbon foam Sf limbs in the low 40's I used for hunting.

I love the old recurves and still have my first Ben Pearson 52" 45# stacky monster I bought when I came home from Viet Nam. I have Dad's old Deluxe Composite which is the predecessor to the Browning Safari 1. At 40# and 54" it is the sweetest, smoothest bow I've shot. Everyone who shoots it falls in love with it. It's one of those family keepsakes now in a beautiful dark Brazilian Rosewood. I picked up another Safari one at 43# to hunt with so as not to scratch up Dad's bow. They have been great for moving targets, turkeys and tree stands at 54".

Then of course there is a 1966 Bear Grizzly 41#, 58" bow that I bought about 20 years ago when I fell back in love with the recurves. That's the bow I started making cedar shafts for until I moved into alum and then carbons.

I don't know if anyone remembers Gene Charbonneau (Bulldog) and the old Fedora Junior days, but I still have one of his 60" Big East one piece recurves I bought from Gene years ago. I took a really nice buck with it and my daughter frowns real big whenever I talk about selling it.

Another bow dear to my heart is an old Roots Range Master 66" 36" heavy riser recurve that I bought for one of the daughters. I used it one day with some 1816 arrows to shoot my first and only "no wound" 30 target 300 round with up at Blackhawk Field Archers above Rockford in Illinois near the Wisc. border.

I've enjoyed being able to take at least one deer with all the old keepsake bows. Archery and bowhunting have been a wonderful hobby down through the years. I even managed to find a big round straw target and fiberglass bow to shoot in the supply room in Viet Nam. It was just sitting there gathering dust. I put it to good use during my stay there and passed it on when I left.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#4 Post by stumper »

Grizzly wrote:Age and injuries have pretty much changed things so that now I'm shooting the bows I bought for my wife, 2 girls and Grand kids, and the youngsters who are now young men and women are shooting my bows.

The most versatile and most used bow is an old Warf based on a Hoyt TD3 riser using ilf limbs. I have a set of the lighter ones that came off of a Daala that 3 Rivers sells as well as a set of carbon foam Sf limbs in the low 40's I used for hunting.

I love the old recurves and still have my first Ben Pearson 52" 45# stacky monster I bought when I came home from Viet Nam. I have Dad's old Deluxe Composite which is the predecessor to the Browning Safari 1. At 40# and 54" it is the sweetest, smoothest bow I've shot. Everyone who shoots it falls in love with it. It's one of those family keepsakes now in a beautiful dark Brazilian Rosewood. I picked up another Safari one at 43# to hunt with so as not to scratch up Dad's bow. They have been great for moving targets, turkeys and tree stands at 54".

Then of course there is a 1966 Bear Grizzly 41#, 58" bow that I bought about 20 years ago when I fell back in love with the recurves. That's the bow I started making cedar shafts for until I moved into alum and then carbons.

I don't know if anyone remembers Gene Charbonneau (Bulldog) and the old Fedora Junior days, but I still have one of his 60" Big East one piece recurves I bought from Gene years ago. I took a really nice buck with it and my daughter frowns real big whenever I talk about selling it.

Another bow dear to my heart is an old Roots Range Master 66" 36" heavy riser recurve that I bought for one of the daughters. I used it one day with some 1816 arrows to shoot my first and only "no wound" 30 target 300 round with up at Blackhawk Field Archers above Rockford in Illinois near the Wisc. border.

I've enjoyed being able to take at least one deer with all the old keepsake bows. Archery and bowhunting have been a wonderful hobby down through the years. I even managed to find a big round straw target and fiberglass bow to shoot in the supply room in Viet Nam. It was just sitting there gathering dust. I put it to good use during my stay there and passed it on when I left.
That's awesome. Nothing wrong with light tackle. I'm relatively young and all I shoot is bows in the low 40's because that is what I like! Sounds like you have quite the collection.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

Welcome aboard! Look forward to your input! :D
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Welcome, Craig! Glad you've joined us. Love the history of your shooting, kind of parallels mine in some ways. Like some of the others here, I have "regressed" down to shooting 35-45# bows and find no shame in it...as long as it's legal to hunt with. For target, lighter is better as far as I'm concerned.
Anyway, glad to have you on board! :D
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Welcome and hope to see you here often.
Also glad to see I'm not the only one here that remembers stuff from that far back. :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

graps wrote:Welcome and hope to see you here often.
Also glad to see I'm not the only one here that remembers stuff from that far back. :lol:
Welcome Craig, great to have another Christian Brother, and a plus that enjoy traditional archery also. Hope to see a lot more of your input.
Sorry I had to quote your post Graps, been trying to respond for a few days but it won’t let me post here now. Found a way, by hitting quote in someone else’s post. :oops:

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

That's alright Tony, I don't mind if you use me. :?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Elkman
Site Admin

#10 Post by Elkman »

Welcome to all new members!!!!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Return to “New Member Check In”