New to Site

Nomad

New to Site

#1 Post by Nomad »

Hello from NJ! Stop laughing....

Been hunting with stick bows since 74 and started making my own hickory longbows about 23 years ago. Enjoy all kinds of hunting and really look forward to my annual deer hunt in Maine every year. Have a wife and 3 kids that also hunt. Looking forward to exchanging ideas, stories and maybe even have some fun while doing it. Thanks for letting me in.

Mark.

Greg Felty

Re: New to Site

#2 Post by Greg Felty »

A welcome from Michigan
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

Welcome and Hello from Central Illinois. In 1966, I probably took some soil samples from the farms all around you, when I had a job with the Zinc mine in Ogdensburg, NJ. I needed some spending money before enlisting and I didn't really want to work in the mine. I knew one of the men taking those samples and worked with him for a while. I have a brother living not far from you. I used to live at the top of Breakneck Road in Highland Lakes all year round and had permission to hunt that valley and surrounding hills that they turned into a small ski resort (Vernon Valley). I believe it went out of business a few years ago. Back then, I could walk from my house with a shotgun or bow over my shoulder, headed for the top of the valley and talk to my neighbors along the way. It sounds like there have been some radical changes in NJ since then.

Hunting Maine would have been a dream for me. The furthest north I got was when I went up to Tupper Lake on my Honda and fished and camped for a week. Rode up White Face Mt near Lake Placid. Beautiful area, complete with trout streams.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Nomad

#4 Post by Nomad »

Grizzly wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:41 am Welcome and Hello from Central Illinois. In 1966, I probably took some soil samples from the farms all around you, when I had a job with the Zinc mine in Ogdensburg, NJ. I needed some spending money before enlisting and I didn't really want to work in the mine. I knew one of the men taking those samples and worked with him for a while. I have a brother living not far from you. I used to live at the top of Breakneck Road in Highland Lakes all year round and had permission to hunt that valley and surrounding hills that they turned into a small ski resort (Vernon Valley). I believe it went out of business a few years ago. Back then, I could walk from my house with a shotgun or bow over my shoulder, headed for the top of the valley and talk to my neighbors along the way. It sounds like there have been some radical changes in NJ since then.

Hunting Maine would have been a dream for me. The furthest north I got was when I went up to Tupper Lake on my Honda and fished and camped for a week. Rode up White Face Mt near Lake Placid. Beautiful area, complete with trout streams.
Grizzly, I hunted all around Vernon Valley many years ago, up on the mountain in the WMA.

I live right near the Del Water Gap, still a lot of open public land to hunt. Don't have too many big ones like you out in Illinois.

I have been to Tupper Lake and might try to sneak in some hunting up there if they get any early snow. Would like to do some tracking with my rifle like I do in Maine.

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

It sounds like you may have also grown up reading "Shots at Whitetails" by Lawrence R. Koller https://www.amazon.com/Shots-Whitetails ... 0873418654
41rixOJ3+KL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
41rixOJ3+KL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (25.55 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Dad wouldn't let me hunt until I read that at about 12 years old. My Dad had some great still hunting skills. I used to love that style of hunting until I became spoiled by treestands in this deer rich environment in Pike County where my wife's family still have a couple of farms.

I too, still love to get down on the ground after a lite fresh snow to study the tracks and movement patterns and sometimes stalk a bit. The heightened awareness adds a thrill you can't get in a stand or in a blind.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Welcome from Michigan.
The guys that I bear hunt with, most of them are from your area.
You should join us some June. The second week is full up and that's the week I go but there's still an opening the first week. viewtopic.php?t=3937

Glad to have you here and hope to see you here often.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Nomad

#7 Post by Nomad »

Grizzly wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:27 am It sounds like you may have also grown up reading "Shots at Whitetails" by Lawrence R. Koller https://www.amazon.com/Shots-Whitetails ... 0873418654 41rixOJ3+KL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Dad wouldn't let me hunt until I read that at about 12 years old. My Dad had some great still hunting skills. I used to love that style of hunting until I became spoiled by treestands in this deer rich environment in Pike County where my wife's family still have a couple of farms.

I too, still love to get down on the ground after a lite fresh snow to study the tracks and movement patterns and sometimes stalk a bit. The heightened awareness adds a thrill you can't get in a stand or in a blind.
Wow, how did you know? I have 2 reprints and 1 original copy of that book. One of favorites.
Yes, up in Maine we like to track when we have snow. Almost no other hunters around and you can roam all over the 3.5 million acres of The North Maine Woods, where we hunt. They go by weight up there, have been lucky enough to shoot 223# and 230# dressed weight bucks.
Never hunted Illinois, but of course know about the great hunting there.

Nomad

#8 Post by Nomad »

Graps wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:36 am Welcome from Michigan.
The guys that I bear hunt with, most of them are from your area.
You should join us some June. The second week is full up and that's the week I go but there's still an opening the first week. viewtopic.php?t=3937

Glad to have you here and hope to see you here often.
Thank you for the offer!

I graduated from Michigan State University in 1985. Still travel out there a lot for fishing. Like to surf fish, throwing Cleo's and Kroc spoons for spring Browns. Biggest is 17.3#, always wanted to get a 20#. Had one hooked much larger one time.

Fished in Ludington, Manistee, Platte, Honor, Frankfort, Betsie, and the other side of the state, Alpena, AuGres, AuSable, Black River. Great state.

Went to the Fred Bear Museum in Grayling when I was a kid. Fred Bear was in the back room , but was busy and wouldn't come out, but signed our catalog. lol

Nomad

#9 Post by Nomad »

Greg Felty wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:27 am A welcome from Michigan
Thanks Greg, love Michigan. MSU class of 85.

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

Nomad wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:19 am
Grizzly wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:27 am It sounds like you may have also grown up reading "Shots at Whitetails" by Lawrence R. Koller https://www.amazon.com/Shots-Whitetails ... 0873418654 41rixOJ3+KL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Wow, how did you know? I have 2 reprints and 1 original copy of that book. One of favorites.
Yes, up in Maine we like to track when we have snow. Almost no other hunters around and you can roam all over the 3.5 million acres of The North Maine Woods, where we hunt. They go by weight up there, have been lucky enough to shoot 223# and 230# dressed weight bucks.
Never hunted Illinois, but of course know about the great hunting there.
It wasn't hard. I grew up hunting Ulster County, NY in the Catskills along with working and going to school there later. Anyone from that area who still likes to hunt on the ground and move around and stalk, would most likely be familiar with that book, since the author's stories and photos, are mostly from the Catskill Mountain range in upstate NY. There are also some world famous trout streams there, as I'm sure you know. I think my love of fall colors and panoramic hills began there.

Return to “New Member Check In”