Storage of bow

tmattson

Storage of bow

#1 Post by tmattson »

So, how long should a longbow be left strung?
Should it be strung only when shooting and then unstrung until next shooting session?
How often do you wax the string (just put on a new "Ten Point string").

White Falcon

Re: Storage of bow

#2 Post by White Falcon »

I leave mine strung all the time. I was mine when it gets worn off or shows some wear. About twice a year or if I have been out in the rain.

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

I leave mine strung too. If its. Bow that is out of rotation for the season i migbt unstring it. More to keep me from shooting it than it is because i am worried about damage.

Many will suggest unstringing them when not in use to reduce stress on the bow. Many will say you are most likely to mess up the limbs stringing it.

Either way i would highly reccomend a bow stringer if you you dont have one yet.

As for waxing the string, i rub a little in when i see tge string start to get fuzzy. I like to use a peice of leather from an old work glove but your fingers will just fine.

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

The couple i shoot a lot i leave strung. I f i am not going to shoot them for a while i unstring them.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

If I'm shooting on a regular basis, I leave them strung.
But you don't want to leave a self bow strung.
As far as wacing the string, I wax when it feels dry.or not "waxy feeling".
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

I generally unstring after each session unless I know I'll be shooting a number of days in succession. I store my bows flat (under the sofa, fits 4 easily and keeps them out of the way). Never store a bow by standing it on end in a corner or closet, you can warp the tips. Also, I HIGHLY recommend a good quality stringer like the Selway Stringer. Makes stringing/unstringing a 10 second affair and keeps you from putting an eye out or damaging other important body parts!
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#7 Post by White Falcon »

Strung and hung. I shoot almost every other day.
Attachments
DSCN8775.JPG
DSCN8775.JPG (122.5 KiB) Viewed 701 times

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

The one or two I'm shooting stay strung a while. I will unstring them occasionally.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “New Member Check In”