New to the Forum

Bigmagic1960

New to the Forum

#1 Post by Bigmagic1960 »

Hi Everyone,
I'm a retired corrections officer from the State Prison of Southern Michigan after 28 years. I'll be 60 in February. I've been hunting and shooting since I was about 8 years old when I started following my dad around in the woods. About 20 years ago, my neighbor was having a garage sale and he had a #70 Martin Mountaineer ML-14. I didn't know anything about traditional archery but he sold the bow and about 50 arrows for $75.00. I immediately got the longbow bug. At first I couldn't pull it back too well due to strength. Then I was told by someone on one of the forum that I would never learn to shoot the bow accurately due to hand shock. After almost 3 years of almost daily practice, 3 whitetails have taken dirt baths from it. Now I have 8 longbows and 4 recurves. I've been thinking about trying my hand at field archery competitions. Not so much that I like to win, but rather just hanging around a bunch of people shooting longbows and recurves. I still prefer my ML-14. She's a lovely weapon. I look forward to reading about other people's shooting adventures and advice. I believe one is never too old to learn.
Hunt Hard, Hunt Smart, and Hunt Often, and don't let life pass you idley by.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: New to the Forum

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Welcome from Kentucky, glad to have you here, welcome to my age next month, I look forward to getting to know you! :D

Hill billy

#3 Post by Hill billy »

Congratulations on retiring and we’re glad you found tradhunter. Welcome from Arkansas

Greg Felty

#4 Post by Greg Felty »

Welcome from another Michigander.We have a indoor trad league that shoots on Tuesdays in Brownstown you are welcome to come and shoot with us.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Hi Dan,

Welcome from Corvallis, Montana.
Glad to have you here.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

Welcome from Central Illinois. We are lucky to still have a local club that puts on sanctioned field events. You can shoot as a guest without being a part of the National Field Archery Assn. Luckily they have decent cleared catch areas around the long targets for those of us learning the sport. I've always enjoyed it and when you get a group of trad archers together for a field shoot, you're bound to have fun. It scares away many but there's really no reason to be afraid of the long shots. Everyone soon learns to really enjoy them. Holding steady on those long shots helps everyone hold and focus on that deer that suddenly steps into your lane. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy your time here.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#7 Post by stumper »

Welcome.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

BigMagic...PM sent
Aim small, miss small!

elkslayer4x5

#9 Post by elkslayer4x5 »

I love field archery! Especially with traditional gear. By all means give it a try. You may want to use a lighter weight bow though, a half round is 14 target from 7 yards to 80 yards, 4 arrows each target, 56 shots, the full round is 28 targets, same distances, 112 shots. Sometimes the rounds will be mixed, field and Hunter. Hunter rounds are basically the same except the target face all black with a white dot and are shot from odd distances, see the following link for actual distances. A field has a black outer ring around a white face with black dot Pure joy watching your 80 yd shot arc into the target.

https://www.nfaausa.com/2019/06/field-a ... eld-round/

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

elkslayer4x5 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:09 pm I love field archery! Especially with traditional gear. By all means give it a try. You may want to use a lighter weight bow though, a half round is 14 target from 7 yards to 80 yards, 4 arrows each target, 56 shots, the full round is 28 targets, 112 shots. Pure joy watching your 80 yd shot arc into the target.
Ah yes. Maurice Thompson mentions that in his book the witchery of archery. Been wanting to give that a shot. I competed once with a recurve in a compound competition.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “New Member Check In”