Bringing my experience building bamboo fly rods to traditional archery in Montana

Meatsthecure

Bringing my experience building bamboo fly rods to traditional archery in Montana

#1 Post by Meatsthecure »

Hey all!

I'll admit I am brand new to archery of any kind, let alone traditional archery. I shot a bow at camp when I was a kid, but thats about the extent of it. I've wanted to get into big game hunting for quite a long time, and actually picked up a compound bow (which i still need to set up) before getting sidetracked and mildly obsessed with the traditional side of the sport.

I'm sure my passion for building and fishing bamboo fly rods influenced my decision to build my own traditional bows, and I am perfectly okay with that. I plan on building a few bamboo backed hickory bows to start and then moving on to Osage. I am hoping to put my work to use in the fall as well when archery season rolls around!

Thanks and Happy new year everyone!!

-Geoff

Edit: I forgot to add that I do have an inexpensive recurve bow on the way so I can practice shooting while I gather materials and begin building!

Greg Felty

Re: Bringing my experience building bamboo fly rods to traditional archery in Montana

#2 Post by Greg Felty »

Welcome Geoff glad to have you
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Elkman
Site Admin

Re: Bringing my experience building bamboo fly rods to traditional archery in Montana

#3 Post by Elkman »

Welcome to Tradhunter Geoff from a fellow resident of Big Sky Country! I'm in the Bitterroot Valley in Corvallis.

You will find a few guys here who may be able to help you as you get started.

I build longbows, along with others here, but have yet to try a selfbow.

Good luck! We appreciate you joining our website.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

Welcome, I think there are a few build alongs in the bowyers section. Unless you plan on buying a dried stave, it takes 1-2 years for a stave to dry enough. Hickory needs to be 6-7% moisture content. Osage 9-11. Boards are also a good place to start, just make sure grain is straight for the board length on all 4 sides

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Welcome aboard!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “New Member Check In”