OH-vur-BOH

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Crazynate

Re: OH-vur-BOH

#61 Post by Crazynate »

I prefer a heavier arrow 500-600 for 45-50# bows I hunt with. That being said I am not afraid to use a 40-44# bow. I have done lots of testing with arrow speeds with my chrono and like graps said in his previous post I'd rather have a heavier arrow and lose 5-10 fps. I am a believer traditional Archers have a better understanding of arrow flight and penetration. A few of my buddy's that hunt with compounds always struggle to get pass thrus. Even at speeds of 280+ they're not getting pass thrus and I got 1 of those guys shooting a 550 grain arrow and a fixed blade 3 blade VPA 125. He's shot 3 deer this year and is totally impressed. So I definitely believe heavier arrows versus heavier weight. sharp sharp broadheads are a must.
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#62 Post by Captainkirk »

Crazynate wrote: So I definitely believe heavier arrows versus heavier weight. sharp sharp broadheads are a must.
Note the simple comparison between a pocket knife with a 'reasonable edge' and a surgeon's scalpel; the ease of cutting (pressure required) and the depth and 'cleanliness' of the cut...both cut but one is far superior. And so it goes with broadheads. Sharp is not enough. "Shaving sharp" is what you're after for pass-thru's and maximum hemorrhage/blood loss.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#63 Post by Shadowhntr »

Blood loss is good.... largely because it gives us a nice trail to follow. Be that as it may, we must keep in mind how a broadhead kills with the quickest measure, the double lung hit. Sure blood loss happens, but the animal goes down so quick with a dbl lung shot not from blood loss, but from taking away oxygen to the brain. With no lungs operating, there is no oxygen making it into the blood stream and thus even though blood is moving through the veins, no oxygen is available to the brain. The animals body muscle movement quickly burns up what oxygen is available in the blood....and the animal is very quickly shut down because the brain is so sensitive to oxygen needs. Most double lung hit deer don't make it past 30 yards and many will fall at 20 or less, making it the best hit possible....but NOT from blood loss....rather its oxygen loss. Deer have a lot of blood...if you think about it, it makes no sense that one would die in seconds from blood loss, not making it past 20 or 30 yards.

A look at the heart hit will expose that it is actually a 2nd rate hit....largely because with the lungs still working, as the animal runs and moves, the lungs still enrich the blood that is available and the animals muscle movement courses the blood through the veins...prolonging life. It's not uncommon to see heart hit animals go 80 yards or even 100 yards. This is actually a blood loss kill at least until blood gets low enough none reaches the brain to enrich with available oxygen....thus it is a slower death.

I say this because I want to remind ourselves as well as the novice that in the best case scenario of dbl lung hits, we don't kill from blood loss...but from lack of oxygen to the brain. A sharp broadhead insures major lung destruction and thus unable them more totally and makes for extremely quick deaths.
Unfortunately a bad hit too far back, does kill from trama and from blood loss and can be slow.

Again...in every instance we need super sharp heads.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#64 Post by Graps »

I don't know Kirk , I just can't envision you with a super sharp head . ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#65 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote:I don't know Kirk , I just can't envision you with a super sharp head . ;)
I didn't say my heads were sharp. I just said it was a good idea. 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#66 Post by Carpdaddy »

Good post Shadowhntr, I had never considered or thought about this. As I was reading it I began to remember times that I had a Deer run a long way after an arrow passing through the heart. Guess I had just always thought that it was blood loss without ever thinking about other contributors. :idea:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#67 Post by Captainkirk »

BTT.... :D
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#68 Post by Captainkirk »

Bump-TTT for newer members.
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#69 Post by White Falcon »

To much chance for not deploying blades on mechanically. If they open, they work!

Return to “Practice/Training”