any one ever try a clicker?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Longtrad

any one ever try a clicker?

#1 Post by Longtrad »

We'll I have been thinking about trying out a draw checker the last few weeks and today I finally bit the bullet at work and decided to get on ebay and order myself a clicker. I have heard a few claim that they really made a difference in their form and shooting, some even make it sound like it was life changing for their archery, others say they are a pain in the butt.

I must admit I am not crazy about the idea of a taping the ugly contraption on my beautiful bow, but I suppose I must consider function over form... or something like that.

I decided on the Click-It brand of clicker as it is supposedly the smallest one. I'm pretty anxious to get my hands on it and play with setting it up. I am hoping it will prove to be a useful training tool for consistently reaching full draw, and won't be too much a hassle to shoot with.

Have any of you guys tried a clicker or draw check device? What are you thoughts on them?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: any one ever try a clicker?

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Never tried one, Clay, but I've read plenty of posts over on AT from folks that swear by 'em...FITA and target 3D shooters who are a helluva lot better than me...and others that claim it helped not only form but helped with TP (target panic). It can't hurt to try one out.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

I know little to nothing of them, only what I've read other people say... which is similar to what you all have seen.
I've also read negative things about them. The only 2 that come to mind are... you become so dependant upon them that once you start using them it's virtually impossible to shoot without one because it becomes your trigger in the mind. That leads to the other negative I've read, which is pertaining to the ills of trying to hunt sharp spooky game with them. I can't confirm good or bad....never used one so I'm oblivious.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

Oh man I hadn't even considered that draw back, I have been thinking more along the lines of the strings getting tangled up.

Shadowhntr

#5 Post by Shadowhntr »

I think they have the functionality of them honed really well. I don't think I've heard anyone complain about the designs or any trouble. I'd say you are good to go in that department Clay.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#6 Post by Carpdaddy »

I got one laying around here somewhere from my young trad days. I would consider it to have been a useful tool in helping me to stop short drawing. You may be surprised how often it happens, especially in an awkward position on a treestand platform. Black tape will help deaden the sound, especially if you plan to hunt with it. I haven't used it on many years now, not that I don't need to, but I change bows too often. Takes a little bit to get it set just right, unless you already have a pretty consistent draw length. Let us know what you think if you try it.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#7 Post by Carpdaddy »

I should have mentioned the fact that all my bows were 60# when I used one, that probably didn't help none! :lol: :oops:

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

:lol: :lol: that's a lot of bow CD!

That's also what I'm hoping it will help me with. i recently was shown that my draw length is a lot longer than I thought so now I am trying to get into the habit of drawing into full back tension and getting every little bit out of my draw length that I can. It's still a work in progress, I think sometimes I still short draw and sometimes even end up over drawing. I thought this clicker would be a good tool for that.

I have no idea if I will attempt to use it for hunting or not, I guess that will be decided later, who knows I might fall in love with the contraption.

Shadowhntr

#9 Post by Shadowhntr »

I think my biggest personal issue with shooting lightweight smooth shooting bows, is I tend to try to over draw. My shooring goes down hill just as bad as if I short draw and snap shoot. I got to be very careful of that. Push with bow arm to extend, and pull back to anchor comfortably ... but continually pulling and pushing through the shot. If I'm not careful at that point I'll find myself drawing 29" or more and shots are everywhere.

eidsvolling

#10 Post by eidsvolling »

I don't use one, but I was mildly surprised to spot Clay Hayes using one on one of his hunt videos. Here's his how-to on making your own:https://youtu.be/UUaTiS8RibA

Return to “Practice/Training”