The Planets Aligned

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

The Planets Aligned

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, the planets aligned tonight; my granddaughter went home with Daddy, the yard work was done, the weather was gorgeous, the natural fence is in full bloom, and the Two Trouble Twins...the Noisy Neighbor (who likes to cook and eat on his deck with family while staring at my back yard) and the Nosy Neighbor who walks around with cell phone in hand taking pictures of my back yard (with me in it) seemed to be gone for they day...hooray!...and it seemed like a perfect night to drag out the old bow. Scratch that; it WAS the perfect night to drag out the old bow! Last week's trial with the Elk Seeker made me realize how out of shape I was from not shooting; so time to get down to bid'ness. 8-)
With the sun sinking off to my right like a huge glowing orange orb and nothing but the sound of silence around me, I stuck arrow after arrow into the block; some good groups, some not-so-good groups (ain't gonna lie!) but I noticed the old concentration coming back...pick a spot, sink an arrow, then try to blow the nock off that arrow!...and I came darn close a few times. The important thing is the muscle memory started to work again along with the concentration and with that came the confidence again. I shot until nearly dusk, perfectly timed with the arrival of Nosy Neighbor, and since I don't want to overdo things right away, I called it a night after maybe 60-70 arrows and feeling pretty good about it. The idea of an 8 foot privacy fence instead of the chain link is beginning to grow on me more and more.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: The Planets Aligned

#2 Post by Graps »

Very nice.
A cheaper alternative to the dense is the plastic privacy strips that you can install in the chain link fense.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm Very nice.
A cheaper alternative to the dense is the plastic privacy strips that you can install in the chain link fense.
Yeah, but it's only a four foot chain link. :(
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Shoot sitting on the ground. :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

Glad to hear it.

You could plant something tall around your paremeter to keep they eyes off you. Something like Sudan sorghum

Elkman
Site Admin

#6 Post by Elkman »

Were you using the Elk Seeker longbow or one of your others?

I need to start practicing again myself. I need to go get myself some new straw bales to put in front of the large piece of conveyor belt I have hanging in between 2 fence posts. Good tight bales work pretty good at stopping arrows with field points. I usually get 3 or 4 bales. I'm not sure what they are costing these days. The last 3 I got cost me $3.50 each. I shot at them for 6 years. My neighbors Bull got loose last fall and ripped the heck out my bales.
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Elkman wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 10:25 pm Were you using the Elk Seeker longbow or one of your others?

I need to start practicing again myself. I need to go get myself some new straw bales to put in front of the large piece of conveyor belt I have hanging in between 2 fence posts. Good tight bales work pretty good at stopping arrows with field points. I usually get 3 or 4 bales. I'm not sure what they are costing these days. The last 3 I got cost me $3.50 each. I shot at them for 6 years. My neighbors Bull got loose last fall and ripped the heck out my bales.
I was using the Griz tonight.
I need to work up to the Elk Seeker if I'm going to avoid hurting myself. That's what I was working on tonight (working up to it, not hurting myself!)
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, the planets may have aligned last night, but feeling gravity's pull this morning. Holy Smokes!
Both shoulder muscles and lower back/sciatic pain today. I should have tried to work it in a little bit slower. Better tonight after aspirin today, but those midwest winter layoffs are a real killer. I need to figure out away to shoot 3-4 times a week during the off season.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#9 Post by Graps »

:lol: Getting old ain't for sissies. :lol:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 7:25 pm :lol: Getting old ain't for sissies. :lol:
Nope, and I'm finding it's not for slackers either! :?
My own darn fault, but I am really beginning to dislike winter. :(
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”