And the light came on!

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

And the light came on!

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
...and the light comes on...
Was shopping with the wife at Wally World today and passed by the outdoor section when suddenly I noticed an entire aisle of solar yard lights. Yeah we gots some o' doze...
And then...solar yard SPOT LIGHTS. :shock:
The lights came on. You guys know how I've complained about having to pass on shooting in the yard because I was visible to neighbors, right?
So, how many neighbors are out in the back yard after DARK? 8-)
Well, I bought a couple and stuck 'em in the ground to charge along with a regular yard light to illuminate where I stand.
Not perfect, but certainly passable. My only complaint so far is that you really can't see where you've hit until you walk up to retrieve the arrows. But for just plain shooting and muscle memory, yeah. I think it will do the trick. If I can keep the skeeters at bay, anyway...
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: And the light came on!

#2 Post by Graps »

:? :lol: :roll:
So you have gone to the dark side.......
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:39 pm :? :lol: :roll:
So you have gone to the dark side.......
"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon".

Actually I've been pretty much shooting almost every evening before sunset. This is just "Plan B" for when the natural fence begins to thin this fall, to keep me shooting as long as possible. Or, if I can't shoot at normal times due to neighbors being in close proximity.
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#4 Post by White Falcon »

In TX. people put them n there feeders for hog hunting.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#5 Post by Carpdaddy »

I often practice shooting in low light conditions, as long as I can make out my target silhouette. Probably not something for gap or sight shooting but works if instinct. You are correct on not knowing where your arrow hits but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well you can still do. But shoot where if you miss it won’t matter, not with your garage (or the neighbors) behind your target! :oops:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 am I often practice shooting in low light conditions, as long as I can make out my target silhouette. Probably not something for gap or sight shooting but works if instinct. You are correct on not knowing where your arrow hits but I have been pleasantly surprised at how well you can still do. But shoot where if you miss it won’t matter, not with your garage (or the neighbors) behind your target! :oops:
Well, if you noticed, there is a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood up against the garage on my range. If I miss that, I have no business even holding a bow!
I do notice my grouping is much worse in low light conditions.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Get a laser pointer and aim it on your target.
That will help you focus on a single spot.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:31 pm Get a laser pointer and aim it on your target.
That will help you focus on a single spot.
Good idea! :D
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”