How Many Bows?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!

How many bows do you shoot with regularly?

15%
2-4
62%
5-7
15%
More than 8
8%

Total votes: 13

Jamesh76

Re: How Many Bows?

#11 Post by Jamesh76 »

For what ever reason, in any vote. I shoot 3-4 regularly, have 14 total. 4, I have never even shot.

Grizzly

#12 Post by Grizzly »

Years ago, I would have voted 5-7, but now that I've been forced to drop alot of weight, I shoot my TD-3 Warf with the lightest limbs 3 Rivers used to offer on their DOS Dalla. I believe it is right at 30# I also enjoy a custom old style recurve my wife had made which is also #30. Oh, I almost forgot, her #30 Wing Falcon she shot for years, I'll shoot it too. Blackhawk Field Archers, in Shirley, Illinois had a photo of my wife at full draw shooting it from her wheelchair and me alongside, also at full draw on their brochure for years. Sure miss running up there, almost on the Wisc border above Rockford, Il. A great club and maybe one of the oldest clubs still in existence in the U.S.

When I was hunting, the Warf was still my main bow at #42; I also hunted and shot a nice 8 pointer with an old Mike Fedora Jr., Big East recurve. I loved my two Browning Safari 1's @ #40 and #43. Last but not least was my 1966 Bear Grizzly @ 41# I took at least one deer with all my bows.

There was also a time when I enjoyed a 3d round with my daughters Root Range Master 66" @36# heavy recurve. I shot my first 300/30 target, no wounds 3d with that bow and 1816's (not in 1816 Kirk :) ) .

Funny, the bow I shoot the least and which has the most dust on it is my first bow bought after VN in 1969. It's a Ben Pearson HP-52 in Zebra wood and stacks terribly for me. It is 52"@45#. I had one go around with a long bow, but the grip never even came close to the sample I shot at Cloverdale, when I ordered it. I was not all that comfortable with it, plus it came in a bit over the ordered weight. When a chip of wood came off while shooting it at home, he offered to take it back and I agreed. I really wish it had came out as ordered. Really enjoyed the one at Cloverdale, but it was a bit too heavy to buy. That was the bow I had when a monster buck was feeding at about 40+ yards out. No way would I take that shot. I didn't have that one long enough to get a shot off at a deer.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Grizzly wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:36 pm There was also a time when I enjoyed a 3d round with my daughters Root Range Master 66" @36# heavy recurve. I shot my first 300/30 target, no wounds 3d with that bow and 1816's (not in 1816 Kirk :) ) .
Hey, you said it, not me!!! 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#14 Post by White Falcon »

4-5, graph isn't working.

joe harrod1945

#15 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I do not know how many bows i have traded an sold too many.I have trouble shooting a longbow.I have a weak wrist an shoulder so i do not shoot them any more.I have killed deer with a longbow but i love a recurve bow.I really like my galaxy ilf bow to shoot targets with.I guess that is a bad name.But i shoot bare bow if that makes a difference. :shock:

Grizzly

#16 Post by Grizzly »

That Galaxy looks like a fine riser for a set of recurve limbs. 17" ? That would keep it short and handy also. I bought a Sebastian Fluke magnesium riser in black for my daughter who has scoliosis of the spine and has to be careful about pulling too much weight or lifting too heavy of a bow. She a gutsy little female and loves shooting this with another set of light limbs I had for a Three Rivers Dalla.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

Sorry to hear about your daughter's condition, Craig.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”