Now HERE'S an issue...

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Now HERE'S an issue...

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

OK, the daily practice seems to be paying off...the arrows are grouping nicely fairly close to where I want them to be...yay! :D
Except...now, the center of this brand new Block target is blowing foam sheets all over the yard behind it and I've had to put an additional backstop bag behind it to stop impending pass-thru's...
Some of the arrows are sinking in almost up the fletching already. I bought this (absurdly expensive) Block last year but only fired a few shots at it. And y'all know I only started the 'daily treatment' in June...that's not much longevity for your 80 bucks. I haven't figured out a good method of stopping the layers of foam from blowing out the back either.
I don't mind spending a C-note on a target block if I get 3 or more seasons out of it. But two months? Outrageous! Anybody have some suggestions either for stopping the deterioration, or a better target, or both?
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: Now HERE'S an issue...

#2 Post by Graps »

Compressed straw bails last longer if you keep them dry.
They are way cheaper too. I have the layer target too and have the same problem.
You could try and pull the loose chunks out the back side and shoot some expanding foam in it.
Don't know if that will work, but it couldn't hurt.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

I've been using the same yellow jacket bag target since I joined the site.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Shadowhntr

#4 Post by Shadowhntr »

Been there done that Kirk. Dont think other foam targets will be any better including 3D.

Compressed bales all the way bro. I used 9 bales to stop up all the cracks and wrapped all but one in shrink wrap and shoot the one. Around $100 initially but then only $10 every 2-3 years after that. Cheap and last years. = great target

Bags are ok but I still ruined the outer layer pretty quickly and knock stuffing out. You can rebag but in one year or less I'll blow it out again....plus you get a lot of "hanging" arrows....a recipe for disaster.

Woodies are harder on targets
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Return to “Practice/Training”