Blue barrel test

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Longtrad

Blue barrel test

#1 Post by Longtrad »

I saw on another forum where people were doing a simple penetration test with their gear by shooting into a blue plastic barrel, the kind that herbicide comes in. I finally got my hands on one and gave it a try with my 51#@28 Pika although I am only pulling about 27 inches.

I forget how much exactly my arrows weight but I think around 540 grains. I tested a 190 ribtek, a 125 delta, and a 190 vpa 3 blade, all put on adapters to weight about 250 grains. I did all the tests using the same arrow.

Longtrad

Re: Blue barrel test

#2 Post by Longtrad »

First test was the ribtek

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

next was the delta

the first shot hit right on the band of there barrel where it is extra thick so I shot this one twice.

second shot went better
https://i.imgur.com/DFOF7evl.jpg

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

and finally the vpa 3 blade

and a second shot with this one too.

Longtrad

#5 Post by Longtrad »

One of the reasons I think the vpa got further penetration is because there is a lot less friction on the shaft because of the nature of a 3 blade hole

now this was far from a scientific test and It don't mean much as far as shooting live critters is concerned but it was fun!

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

That was interesting. Do you have a #40 bow that you could do that with? We just finished a thread about #40 bows for deer hunting, and much of the effectiveness of the light bow hinges on the right choice of arrow and broadhead. For years, the Zwickey Exkimos, Magnus or Ace 2 blade were the recommended way to go with the lower poundage. Most avoided the 3 blade heads or the larger, heavier heads.

Then again, the "hide" on that barrel is alot tougher than a deer would be. It still would be "very interesting".
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#7 Post by Graps »

Thanks for posting this, it's kinda interesting.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

It's kind of fun. Especially if other people join in with their on results. That plastic is thick and tough. I thing it gives an advantage to 3 blades that wouldn't exists on live game but can't say one way or another for sure.

I'll try and test my 40 pound bow this evening.

Return to “Practice/Training”