What's do you do to keep in shape?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Jamesh76

What's do you do to keep in shape?

#1 Post by Jamesh76 »

Not really a section for this. Maybe we need a health and fitness section. However, what do you do to keep in shape for hunting other than shoot? Does anyone have a exercise program they use yearly? Certain shoulder or back exercises? Walking with packs? Running hills? Weights? At this time, I dont do crap..... I sure feel it when I have to carry something out. I remember my last trip to Montana, I was 50# lighter than now. I need to get back at it. In my mind, I owe it to myself, my son or buddy I hunt with to be there for them if something were to happen. My short 200-500 yard walks from the truck to stand on private property have spoiled me. I really feel it coyote hunting in the winter as well. Even though i dont bowhunt coyotes, the weight of gear, temps,terrain and pace are difficult at times.

Graps

Re: What's do you do to keep in shape?

#2 Post by Graps »

I do like to walk on uneven ground and up and down hills. I also practice still hunting to help with my balance.
Pat McManus says that he likes to pick up his secretary ant throw her over his shoulder while climbing stairs.
It mimics charring a quarter of an elk in the mountains. The only problem with that is, the secretary really doesn't appreciate it. :shock:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Jamesh76 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:04 pm Not really a section for this. Maybe we need a health and fitness section.
I can make one.
Jamesh76 wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:04 pm However, what do you do to keep in shape for hunting other than shoot? Does anyone have a exercise program they use yearly? Certain shoulder or back exercises? Walking with packs? Running hills? Weights? At this time, I dont do crap..... I sure feel it when I have to carry something out. I remember my last trip to Montana, I was 50# lighter than now. I need to get back at it. In my mind, I owe it to myself, my son or buddy I hunt with to be there for them if something were to happen. My short 200-500 yard walks from the truck to stand on private property have spoiled me. I really feel it coyote hunting in the winter as well. Even though i dont bowhunt coyotes, the weight of gear, temps,terrain and pace are difficult at times.
Up until I started this new job 4 years ago, I went to the gym regularly twice a week, lifted weights and walked 2-3 miles a night on the track. Then my knees began giving me an argument and had to stop walking or pay the price, and my new work schedule threw the scheduled gym time out the window with late nights and/or 12-14 hour days at times. Plus, I'm not a spring chicken any more... :?
This past summer I've been riding my mountain bike as much as possible (easier on the knees than walking) and using my 15-30 minutes of shooting to keep the muscles somewhat in shape. It's really not adequate, to be honest. And I can tell. I've lost a lot of muscle tone the past 2 years and I'm trying to develop some sort of routine to get back on track. I'd be interested to hear what other have to say on this.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Graps wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:14 pm I do like to walk on uneven ground and up and down hills. I also practice still hunting to help with my balance.
Pat McManus says that he likes to pick up his secretary ant throw her over his shoulder while climbing stairs.
It mimics charring a quarter of an elk in the mountains. The only problem with that is, the secretary really doesn't appreciate it. :shock:

Does he field dress her first? 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Would anyone else have any interest in a dedicated forum for keeping in shape?
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Round is a shape. :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Like probably most everyone else I dont do work outs as such. Even though I'm a bigger guy, I've always been really quite active. I think the #1 thing that keeps and puts me in shape has to do with more then just hunting is running a trap line. Its actually very taxing. I've taken much younger and fit men on my lines and by day 3 they cashed it in. By spring I'm Turkey hunting non stop and put on miles every year. I think over the heat of the summer is my slow time. Then by September/ October I'm out after deer in one fasion or another and turkey. Come late November it's time to trap again....
This on top of my very active working life.....no, I dont need more exercise!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#8 Post by stumper »

I run 3 to 4 miles a couple times a week and use the Murph to exercise. Usually a half Murph is enough to keep me fit.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Dan

#9 Post by Dan »

I stay in fair shape from my job. I enjoy working out but spend my free time doing other things. I’ll go to CrossFit with my wife on occasion and do the work out. The murph is no joke mile run, 100 pull-ups, 200 push-ups, 300 squats, and another mile run. I tried it once over the summer and wore myself out before I completed everything. I used to lift weights 5 days a week and run 3 days a week but I haven’t hit it that hard since 2005. I also help out our high school and youth wrestling teams, it’s a work out wrestling around with the kids.

Nock

#10 Post by Nock »

Shadowhntr wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:41 pm Like probably most everyone else I dont do work outs as such. Even though I'm a bigger guy, I've always been really quite active. I think the #1 thing that keeps and puts me in shape has to do with more then just hunting is running a trap line. Its actually very taxing. I've taken much younger and fit men on my lines and by day 3 they cashed it in. By spring I'm Turkey hunting non stop and put on miles every year. I think over the heat of the summer is my slow time. Then by September/ October I'm out after deer in one fasion or another and turkey. Come late November it's time to trap again....
This on top of my very active working life.....no, I dont need more exercise!
Running a line is tough.
Happiness is a tight chain!

Return to “Practice/Training”