Do you believe

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
joe harrod1945

Re: Do you believe

#11 Post by joe harrod1945 »

If do not use back tension you will hurt your self sooner than latter.I have shot for so many years with neck,shoulder,an elbow pain.I shot for so many years left handed an when i switched to right because i am right eve dominate.Why was i so hard headed it was pride no one could tell me what to do.You never too old to learn.good job guys

EWill

#12 Post by EWill »

Absolutely I believe in back tension. I have seen a marked improvement in my accuracy since I started using back tension. Also, I have a right shoulder that gets good and sore if I don't use my back.

stumper

#13 Post by stumper »

EWill wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:02 pm Absolutely I believe in back tension. I have seen a marked improvement in my accuracy since I started using back tension. Also, I have a right shoulder that gets good and sore if I don't use my back.
How heavy is your bow?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

EWill

#14 Post by EWill »

I shoot a 59 lb longbow.

joe harrod1945

#15 Post by joe harrod1945 »

It is hard to brake old bad habits.I have said in the past i am 74 years old an my muscles in my shoulder,elbow,wrist,an back will not hold up.with the back tension method it will.You have the same muscles you had in earlier life so why not use them.The statement as you get older your draw gets shorter that is not true.With the back tension method i have the same draw i had when i was 21 28"draw.I went from 40# to 50# bow do i want to shoot heavier bows no i know my limitations.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

Too many people believe in the fairy tales about ultra-heavy bows being required for a clean kill.
Not only will a 40# bow kill cleanly with proper arrow weigh, shot placement and a sharp broadhead, but you will be a better shot if you match your body strength to to bow you shoot. Not everyone is Howard Hill.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#17 Post by stumper »

I have a range of bows. But the one I shoot every day is a recurve that is probably 37 lbs at my draw. Sweetest shooting bow you ever did feel.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Not only that, but a lighter bow easily allows you to identify the strengths and weaknesses in your form.
I like to practice off-season with my Tamerlane (35#) because it tells me when I screw up in no uncertain terms.
Aim small, miss small!

joe harrod1945

#19 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I am as accurate with 50 # bow as 40# bow.I had shoot my k-mag 45#.I believe the older i get the lazier i get an blame it on old age.

Grizzly

#20 Post by Grizzly »

"Even the demons believe that--and shudder."

But I've never gotten back tension to consistently be a part of my form. I've used a static release too long to change. Or, do they call it a dead release? I tried for a while.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Practice/Training”