hybrid longbows

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Grizzly

Re: hybrid longbows

#11 Post by Grizzly »

yup. it's risky. I remember when Spider wire first came out as a fishing line. I used it and pretty soon I'd worn a groove in the steel bail of a nice old Mitchel Garcia 308. It can sheer a limb tip also.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Only one of my bows is FF compatible...ironically, the Samick Sage I first bought when delving into trad and rarely shoot anymore as I made the classic mistake over over-bowing myself. :oops:
Aim small, miss small!

joe harrod1945

#13 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I have read about people killing deer with a 25# bow.I am not saying it can not be done but i sure will not try.I have thought many,many times if i could shoot 5# more i could extend my range wrong thought.

stumper

#14 Post by stumper »

Joe I like the hybrid longbow personally. All the best aspects of the longbow and recurve in one bow. May be why I have four of them. I am not surprised that it’s quicker, however, there could be a lot of factors that go into that. It’s interesting, based on the bows I have it seems like the curve to limb is spread out over the entire limb on the longbows where as recurves seem to curve just before the end.

As far as bow weight is consider I have a variety to choose from. Most of my bows are between 40 and 45 pounds with two exceptions. I used to shoot a 65 hybrid longbow all day everyday but I went to a bow shop and saw a bow I’d been wanting to try (bear Montana) and they only had it in 40lbs. After 30 min of shooting the bow had to be pried out of my hands by the sales associate. It felt so good to shoot a low pounder. Now my every day bow is a 42 pound right handed recurve and if I’m not shooting that I’m shooting a 43 left handed hybrid longbow. Bow at my short draw length are under 40 pounds and I don’t have a care in the world. They both shoot the same arrow so things are easy.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Dan

#15 Post by Dan »

I’m enjoying the bow I put together from Kenny M. It’s a forward handle r&d longbow. Super smooth draw and it flat out shoots.

joe harrod1945

#16 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I hear alot of good things about the bear montana.I may some day get one of those.I read some articles today about arrows by fred ashby talking about arrow penetration.His studies show that heavy arrows,small diameter,2 blade heavy broadheads 1" wide to 3# long,3 4" feathers, 500 to 700 grain arrows is the ticket.He show studies over the years an yes he believes in wooden arrows.I plain on building some arrows next week.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

I like the Montana as well. One person on another forum complained about hand shock, though I can't confirm this as I've never shot one.
Sure are pretty bows, though!
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#18 Post by Carpdaddy »

Dan wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:17 pm I’m enjoying the bow I put together from Kenny M. It’s a forward handle r&d longbow. Super smooth draw and it flat out shoots.
He makes some fine bow blanks you can finish, I am also currently shooting one of his designs.

joe harrod1945

#19 Post by joe harrod1945 »

If the montana is not tuned or shooting light arrows the bow will have hand shock.Kirk is the longbows you are talking cost alot would like to know.I would love finishing my own bow.help me out kirk.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#20 Post by Carpdaddy »

Kenny is a sponsor here now, check out his site, I’ll try to do a link. I finished one of his and posted it in the bowyers section, thinking someone else did also, maybe Dan?. Look at Bowyers page Joe.
https://www.kennysarchery.com/bow-forms-and-hardware/

Return to “Practice/Training”