hybrid longbows

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
joe harrod1945

hybrid longbows

#1 Post by joe harrod1945 »

Has any one try a hybrid longbow.I have a neo from old mountain archery.The neo is 40# an is fast.because it has bamboo in the limbs.I shot the neo an k-mag to see what the difference.The k-mag is 45#.I used 678 grain xx75 aluminum arrows.The neo was faster than the k-mag at 10 yds.Shot lighter arrows the neo still shoots faster than the k-mag.So instead of buying another bow.I plan on shooting the neo.Today i ordered 1916 xx75 which was on sale 4" feathers an some Zwickey EskimoS 160 gr an a new bow stringer.I believe bamboo makes a difference.I will fill the inside of the arrows with rope to make it heavier.The arrows are 31.5".I can play with the foc to get them tuned.The arrow shafts are smaller then 2215 in diameter which may help in penetration.I believe you will see more hybrid bows in the future.Learning to post pictures is the next project. :shock:

Jamesh76

Re: hybrid longbows

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

Hybrid longbow or reflex/reflex limb design has been around for a long time. They are very common. I have a couple and have sold/traded several over the years. They are a Joy to shoot. Theres still is a strong following for D shaped or hill profiles though, always will be.

White Falcon

#3 Post by White Falcon »

I'm sure my Bob Lee had them.

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

I have a couple and they do shoot an arrow with authority.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

Carpdaddy makes a mean R/D bow. Elkman, too! The Elk Seeker is wicked-fast.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#6 Post by Graps »

Captainkirk wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:02 pm Carpdaddy makes a mean R/D bow. Elkman, too! The Elk Seeker is wicked-fast.
Like Kirk said. ;)
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

The speed difference you are seeing is probably in the string. The Kmag is Dacron and the new Hybrid is some fastflight type string. You'll probably see at least 5-7 fps and maybe more just because of the string. I had a 41# Bear with fastflight out shoot a 45# Pearson with a std Dacron string by 6 or 7 fps years ago.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

as much as i try to like recurves, hybrid longbows are my favorite. and they can be quite speedy too, I have no doubt that a well designed hybrid bow can shoot as fast or even faster than a lot of recurves. The centaur longbows for example are real speed demons.

Grizzly is spot on with the string comment as well, they can add a good chunk of speed, Most of the tests where people shoot through a chrono that i have seen show that a ff string makes the bow about 15% faster

joe harrod1945

#9 Post by joe harrod1945 »

both bows have b-50 on them .D handle longbows are a pain maker for me wrist,shoulders,an back.When we were younger the pain was gone in a day now it takes 3 days an maybe more.My buddy which is a huge man has shot those high poundage longbows in his early years an now he can not raise his bow.He had shoulder surgery,back surgery.He claims the longbow has caused it.He is 16 years younger than me.He used to make fun of me for shooting a 45# recurve bow.I can shoot 50 arrows with my 40# hybrid longbow with out any pain an not have pain the next day.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Whatever you shoot, just make darn sure it is FF compatible before putting a FF on it. *Most* of the new bows are, but the majority of the Pearson, Bear (etc) classics are NOT.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”