Student who is Right handed but Left Eye dominant....

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
stumper

Re: Student who is Right handed but Left Eye dominant....

#11 Post by stumper »

I shot gap off eye for a while. Slight cant to the bow and I was dead on. Might be something to try.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#12 Post by Graps »

Like stumper just said, cant the bow.
You could take some black electrical tape and make a horizontal line and a vertical line and have her shoot for the intersection.
As she shoots have her increase the cant and the arrows should walk over to the centerline.
This is mentioned in Byron Fergusons book for how to learn to shoot a bare bow.
She could end up being about 45 degrees over to get her dominant eve in play.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Donnie

#13 Post by Donnie »

Graps,

I Think the first thing I am going to try is having Sarah cant the bow.... This DOES make a difference.... but I'm not sure if she is ready to trust herself to shooting instinctive. But... If she does... her enthusiasm will go through the roof!

My program is definitely leaning towards shooting Traditional and learning how to shoot instinctively..... In fact... I am looking at purchasing a set of bows ... and I'm thinking they will be from "Southwest Archery". If the kids ever want to go to compounds.... or Olympic style shooting... the basics will already be there for them! Again... with Sarah... she is struggling with her release... especially her back tension. To have her start canting the bow may really seem strange to her... but I know that if she can start hitting the CENTER of the target with some predictability.... She will be hooked forever!!!! Ind if not.... I got her an eye patch to try! :lol:

Respectfully,

Donnie
Respectfully,

"Donnie"

stumper

#14 Post by stumper »

If you are looking for a new set of trad bows for kids id highly recommend mike with Maddog bows. Hard to beat a pup longbow.

Donnie

#15 Post by Donnie »

If you are looking for a new set of trad bows for kids id highly recommend mike with Maddog bows. Hard to beat a pup longbow.
Really??????....... I would be interested in knowing more!!!
Respectfully,

"Donnie"

stumper

#16 Post by stumper »

I dont know if he offers a discount on orders of more than one. But I have two of them and they shoot great and can take a beating. 95 bucks and you pick glass color and riser wood. Both of mine are 26lbs at 26inch and are wonderful shooters. Just Google maddog archery.

Graps

#17 Post by Graps »

https://stjoeriverbows.com/
Could check these out too.
They have an exchange program for youth bows.
It's very nice for a small child that stays interested in archery, they trade in he bow for a bigger one.
Very neat deal for a young archer.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Donnie

#18 Post by Donnie »

Well.... After 28" of very wet snow.... and Seven days without power... we are back and running!

Yesterday was my first class since I started this thread, (the snow even shut the school down,) and with all the time off trying to get the power back up and running to all of my equipment... I had a lot of time to think about everybody's ideas and how to implement them at class. Captainkirk... you mentioned the "Master Eye" thingy... and I really liked that concept, so I did some studying and after MUCH contemplation on how to explain this (and a whole lot of time in the snow,) I came up with a way in which I thought I could present it to the kids!!!!

So... yesterday we had our class and I spent about 15 minutes explaining "Canting" the bow.... larger field of vision... using the "Master Eye"... and most of all... trusting in the "Minds Eye" to know how to aim... even when you aren't using any reference points. (Such as Gap and String Blur.) The looks I got from my students were PRICELESS... (especially Sarah's) They looked at me as though I was asking them to, not only TRUST in... but to start "Using the Force!"

The first few volleys of arrows were as expected... nothing more than sharp projectiles flying across the gymnasium looking for random targets to hit! All of a sudden... I heard one of the students yell, "Whoa!!!!!.... my arm just moved all by itself and I hit it!!!!" The light genuinely turned on for him and he started (for the first time) hitting what he wanted!!! (within reason...) By the time class was over... about 2/3 of the class were doing really well!!!... but no.... Sarah was not in that 2/3's group.

What Sarah doesn't know is that I watched a few times in which she was able to put things together and was able to gain some direction in her shooting. But until she starts becoming more consistent... she will continue to question herself and will remain safe within her mental shell............................................................. :(

Respectfully,

Donnie
Respectfully,

"Donnie"

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

I was helping a 7 year old girl a few years ago and I picked a white clover blossom and stuck it in the center of the backstop.
I then told her to stair at the white spot for a bit, and then to bring the bow up and not take her eyes off the spot and just shoot it.
Missed the white spot by about an inch and a half. 8-)
After that I had to talk her threw each shot, if I didn't do that, no telling where the arrow would go.
It seemed that she could only concentrate with someone talking her threw the steps.

Oh and buy the way, she was right handed and left eye dominant. Couldn't shoot right handed to save her life.

stumper

#20 Post by stumper »

Thanks for update.

Return to “Practice/Training”