Is my group good enough?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
joe harrod1945

Re: Is my group good enough?

#11 Post by joe harrod1945 »

If i were to shoot at 20 yds a 9"circle would sound good but to me it is border line more like 5" circle.sometimes people will take a shot at 20 yds but for me 15yds is max.the worst thing to happen is wounding a deer.the question is IS MY GROUP GOOD ENOUGH . THE QUESTION SHOULD BE IS THE FIRST ARROW SHOT GOOD ENOUGH.if you are in a hunting situation their are so many factors 1# is the deer moving 2# is the wind blowing hard 3# what angle is the deer to you 4# if your in a tree an how high are you.5# are your muscles cold.these are just some of the factors at 20 yds.i practice 1 shot at a time i will shoot 1 shot an wait 10 minutes an shoot another.

Acsexton55

#12 Post by Acsexton55 »

Thanks for all the tips! I am glad to be part of the forum and hear from others that enjoy shooting as much as I do. Your answers have created more questions.
1- where do I find a coach?
2- how the hell do you have enough patients to shoot one arrow and wait ten minutes to shoot another?
3- any turkey hunters in here?

Graps

#13 Post by Graps »

I have a bench that is nestled under two very large White Pines.
One of my hobby's is making walking sticks and canes.
I will sit on that bench carving on a stick and once in a while I will pick up my bow and shoot an arrow.
It's very relaxing and therapeutic.
As far as finding a coach, hopefully someone that lives near you shoots traditional archery.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#14 Post by Grizzly »

Ask in your archery shops with indoor lanes or at archery clubs. Many times they will have an NFAA trained instructor or maybe a JOAD coach who trains kids on recurves.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

dougedwards

#15 Post by dougedwards »

I never had the patience to wait 10 minutes between shots but I did exhibit the discipline to only shoot bows that I could easily hold at full draw. However, this was a hard lesson to learn as I came from the compound bow world and nobody was shooting a 38 lb compound bow. I started out with 50 lbs and was definitely a snap shooter. I would shoot a couple of good groups but then got tired easily and would miss the target completely. Another mistake I made was shooting at a distance. Form can be effectively developed from 10 yards or less. Confidence is developed at this distance also.

There are some good books on this subject.

Doug
"Therefore, having put away falsehood, let each one of you speak the truth with his neighbor, for we are members one of another."
Ephesians 4:25

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#16 Post by Captainkirk »

dougedwards wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:05 am I never had the patience to wait 10 minutes between shots but I did exhibit the discipline to only shoot bows that I could easily hold at full draw. However, this was a hard lesson to learn as I came from the compound bow world and nobody was shooting a 38 lb compound bow. I started out with 50 lbs and was definitely a snap shooter. I would shoot a couple of good groups but then got tired easily and would miss the target completely. Another mistake I made was shooting at a distance. Form can be effectively developed from 10 yards or less. Confidence is developed at this distance also.

There are some good books on this subject.

Doug
You are quite correct on this, Doug. Low DW bows allow you to develop an perfect your form while heavy bows teach you to release as soon as humanly possible.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”