What my generation needs

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Grizzly

Re: What my generation needs

#11 Post by Grizzly »

I haven't studied or tried this system, but I strongly think that for Howard to be able to shoot a plumb off of someones head or for Byron Ferguson to shoot through a ring, something, either consciously or subconsciously is serving as an aiming reference point OR form has been refined to the point of consistency that it can follow whatever the eye is aligning with or probably both.

Those who use an aiming system are usually slower and more deliberate.

Your shooting looks very good. Have you ever mixed it up with a group of guys who have entered numerous competitions at a 3d event? One will hit a ten and someone will yell, lets make a flower, and the race is on. The last guy to shoot is usually looking at a ten ring full of arrows. Oh, the fun :roll:
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:21 pm .... I have a hard time getting aligned under an eye split finger.
Here is why I asked. When I shot gap, I would also struggle trying to sight along the tip of the arrow to get my gap. When I switched to true instinctive, my groups opened up some, but I was no longer using the arrow shaft, bow, point, or any other reference point other than staring at 'the spot' and burning a hole. Naturally, my groups would open up but my confidence went WAY up once I began socking it into the paper plate. I was just no longer comfortable having to reference any sort of fixed sighting object or calculating distance trajectory. Your mind is perfectly capable of doing those calculations behind the scenes (think; throwing darts or a baseball).
Whatever aiming method works for you is best, but I wanted to removed any fixed barriers and I'm glad I did!
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#13 Post by stumper »

I used to gap. Now I bore a hole where I want to hit and shoot. I do see the tip if the arrow come into my peripheral vision as I reach full draw. However the target itself remains completely in focus the whole time and though I can see the tip of the arrow I am not estimating where to place it on target. I'm just looking and shooting. Howard had this too, not sure what he called it.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 am Howard had this too, not sure what he called it.
"Dead nuts"... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#15 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:26 pm
stumper wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:46 am Howard had this too, not sure what he called it.
"Dead nuts"... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hahahahaha

Graps

#16 Post by Graps »

Howard called it " Split vision "
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Lawrence128

#17 Post by Lawrence128 »

This is interesting. I've shot split finger instinctive for my whole life, even for that year or so that I shot a compound. I've not had time to shoot regularly for several years and am just getting back to it. The guy that taught me to shoot was one of those men who was connected to some of the old time greats. I was young when Mr. Berryhill passed. I wish he'd stayed around longer. Not only did I miss him when he passed, I'm pretty sure that I'd be a better shot if I'd had more time with him. He gave me a copy of Hunting the Hard Way that I still have. If I remember right in that he really describes gap shooting. He starts with a dead focus on the intended point of impact, but then shifts to aiming at a different place. My memory may be bad though. Either way he was amazing in his ability.

I have to admit, I've been amazed at all the stuff on the internet about traditional archery. I'm not a Luddite, but I had no idea that world existed. Too much time at work. Just this past week I ran across something that I'd never heard of, fixed crawl. I dug into it and it sort of makes sense. I even thought about trying it out because my work schedule just doesn't lend itself to a lot of practice. I travel a lot now. ( Hotels don't take too kindly to setting up a target and one end of the hall and shooting down it like we did in our dorm in college.). Because of that I thought maybe shooting with that new technique could be a help for me. Then I got to thinking. All my brain knows is instinctive shooting. Would it mess me up to change it? Is the advantage worth it? I know most, if not all, IBO shooters are aiming in one form or another. I've thought about getting into that once I get my form back.

Still thinking....

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#18 Post by Captainkirk »

Lawrence, the biggest thing that's kept me from fixed crawl is shooting 3 under.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#19 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:53 am Lawrence, the biggest thing that's kept me from fixed crawl is shooting 3 under.
I am actually considering a shooting method that should have all the benefits of split and three under. It really wouldn't be much of a change. Three under gets arrow high and I like that. Split is a tinch quieter. What about two under like Dan toelke? Anyone ever tried it? All I'd have to do is remove a finger.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#20 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:17 am
Captainkirk wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:53 am Lawrence, the biggest thing that's kept me from fixed crawl is shooting 3 under.
I am actually considering a shooting method that should have all the benefits of split and three under. It really wouldn't be much of a change. Three under gets arrow high and I like that. Split is a tinch quieter. What about two under like Dan toelke? Anyone ever tried it? All I'd have to do is remove a finger.
I've shot 3 under, but I don't feel confident when I do. I had a dry fire once that way and it scared me enough to swear off 3U.
Split feels right and it works for me.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”