Less is more?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Less is more?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

Sometimes, or so it seems...

I put my bows away for their winter slumber last November, fully intending to make regular trips to the indoor range at Bass Pro over the winter.
Not.
When I made the drive north to my cousin's cabin in June, I hadn't shot an arrow since November. And adding to the drama was the fact I'd grabbed the wrong bow, having put the K-Hunter in the case last November.
So, why then, did the first group I shot at 20+ yards look like this?

I should have, by all rights, been all over the woods!

Because maybe Graps is on to something; maybe we make trad archery more complicated and stressful than it needs to be by fretting over hundredths of an ounce of weight, fractions of an inch in length, fractions of a pound in spine, and freak out over days missed shooting.
Maybe we just need to chill, relax, shoot what arrows we've got with the bows we have when we find a spare moment, and just let it be?
Maybe that's the allure, and the rewards, of trad archery.
Maybe. :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

Re: Less is more?

#2 Post by White Falcon »

I think everyday practice is over rated. It will enforce bad habits.

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

I'm not sure what I think about the subject.... there is a lot to be said about putting something up for a bit when its been over practiced.. However, I am willing to bet to be one of the all time greats they probably put a lot of practice in just like in any sport. Not sure how one becomes really proficient without practicing in some way shape or form. Practicing to a point where your form degrades should be avoided though. And if that occurs quickly, you may be over bowed.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Jamesh76

#4 Post by Jamesh76 »

Good stuff. I rarely do that on a good day.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pm I'm not sure what I think about the subject.... there is a lot to be said about putting something up for a bit when its been over practiced.. However, I am willing to bet to be one of the all time greats they probably put a lot of practice in just like in any sport. Not sure how one becomes really proficient without practicing in some way shape or form. Practicing to a point where your form degrades should be avoided though. And if that occurs quickly, you may be over bowed.
Well, I'm certainly not advocating not practicing...far from it! Practice, especially when we are new to the sport, is what builds good form and muscle memory.
I was just observing that once you know how to shoot, I think you can overdo it by trying too hard to be perfect. Sometimes, a little 'off-season' might be just what the doctor ordered.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#6 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:10 pm
stumper wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:35 pm I'm not sure what I think about the subject.... there is a lot to be said about putting something up for a bit when its been over practiced.. However, I am willing to bet to be one of the all time greats they probably put a lot of practice in just like in any sport. Not sure how one becomes really proficient without practicing in some way shape or form. Practicing to a point where your form degrades should be avoided though. And if that occurs quickly, you may be over bowed.
Well, I'm certainly not advocating not practicing...far from it! Practice, especially when we are new to the sport, is what builds good form and muscle memory.
I was just observing that once you know how to shoot, I think you can overdo it by trying too hard to be perfect. Sometimes, a little 'off-season' might be just what the doctor ordered.
Yeah I can definitely get behind that.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Return to “Practice/Training”