Winter Doldrums

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Grizzly

Winter Doldrums

#1 Post by Grizzly »

Well, I feel Kirk's pain as his hunting season ends (The 'big let-down' Thread). I always managed to avoid that since Illinois used to have a handgun season for deer on the last hunting weekend of the year following archery. For me, that was sort of a nice ending to the hunting season. It was sort of my good-bye weekend and I always enjoyed it. It made for a natural, almost ritual weekend. Then again, I was blessed to still have a 1200 acre family farm that welcomed my wife and I anytime we wanted to drive the 80 miles there. For years we stayed with her Aunt until she passed. We were welcomed in her son's houses also but many times we would turn our Astro van into a gypsy hunting camper. We had many good years together hunting deer that way.

Now though, I'm not getting out much either since caring for my bedridden wife keeps me close to home mostly. Since I don't have my archery backstop set up in my 20' storage shed yet, I think I'll load up some .44 Specials and relax at the range in the next day or so. Charter arms finally put a new barrel on the old 3" Bulldog when they started running out of front sight to file on (it was shooting 3" left at 10 to 15 yards). I told them first off it needed one but you know how that goes. It took three trips back to them but they did a nice job eventually. Polished it all up and reblued it; polished out a dime size spot on the cylinder that probably at one time developed a little rust and was probably steel wooled. They fixed some parts on the ejector rod that had peened themselves from being shot while loose - that's how it arrived originally, along with a loose frame pin and crane screw. It was pretty aggravating, but the seller actually sent me $40. to help with the shipping costs back to Charter Arms. They even gave me a set of wood grips and a set of their rubber grips that feel good - maybe even better than the thicker Pachmayr Compacs I bought.

I really like carrying this and even shooting it. It still shoots a little left but I tend to pull the shot just a little right in double action, so it may be all good. I want to try it now with the Compacs on since they are a bit wider and just may center my double action shots. I still had some 190 and 215 grain cast bullets from the .44 Magnum days. About 4.5 to 5 grains of Bullseye makes for a nice shooting load. 5.5 grains moves it along pretty good and about what the Silvertips and Underwood Wadcutters shoot like. I've found that the 215 grain bullet is perfect for centering point of aim in the target. 200 grain bullets shoot about an inch or less low.

I like Hill billy's comment in Kirk's thread, "God Kids family and career is really where it is. Lol the rest is fantasy or we gave something up. Just saying". A good perspective on life.

pix722414493.jpg
pix722414493.jpg (111.66 KiB) Viewed 436 times
IMG_20191124_141919192.jpg
IMG_20191124_141919192.jpg (97.94 KiB) Viewed 436 times
After being reblued
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Winter Doldrums

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Bulldog looks great!
Yes, I've already determined I may have to put gun hunting back into the equation if for nothing else but to keep meat in the freezer. This "all or nothing" bowhunting approach isn't keeping venison on the table.
January is also the time when I get back into reloading and shooting as well.
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#3 Post by Carpdaddy »

I think cabin fever is taking over my already weak mind. Missing hunting season, only getting out for Dr appointments, or Church (and not as often), is getting old. So today I got out with wife a little even though I had to sit in car, I got those winter Doldrums bad! :lol: :D

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Gad to hear you are out & about, anyway!
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

Not getting out, especially in winter is tough on folks. My wife has been missing attending Church greatly and now I am also since she needs so much care. We use Facebook Messenger where we call the church on their computer and get to watch, listen and even talk during the gathering. What we both love so much about the home church is that during the message, we can be recognized to ask question or even add to it if we are so moved. Getting Messenger to work smoothly is another issue we are dealing with.

From my wife's hospital bed she can't see the bird feeders in the yard. I'm thinking of getting a metal pipe and driving it into the ground outside her window and then sliding the bird feeder hanger rod into it. Then of coarse comes the axle grease on the poles to keep the squirrels from climbing up and tearing up the feeders. I came home the other day and the one feeder pole was bent over to the ground and the squirrel proof feeder now needs repairs. We don't have any bears around here, so I'm thinking a raccoon or something with some weight went up it. I hadn't greased the poles yet this year.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Return to “Practice/Training”