How long are you holding your draw before releasing?

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
jaydee2trad

How long are you holding your draw before releasing?

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

With all of my health issues, two bad shoulders etc, I am getting quicker at my release these days. It's not so much that I want a quick release, it's more about I can't hold it back very long anymore. Can't draw as much, can't see as well, can't walk very well, can't think as well and can't remember crap. If I was a horse, they would have put me down years ago. So my release is faster than I want it to be. those days of holding it and taking my time to release are long gone. Maybe 3 seconds and then 4 on a really good day but probably just a little over 2 seconds. I used to shoot with this elderly guy that used some sort of horse oinment for his joints and muscles, I think that I have become him LOL. The mind says no problem, we got this but the body is screaming you idiot! Then I watch these young people shooting and all of that and it makes me sick that they take it all for granted. So it comes down to this, "It is what it is and it ain't what it ain't." I can't focus on more than one thing at a time now and with the shorter time frame, I'd best get it done now! But I am still able to shoot and that in itself is a blessing and so I am thankful for it. JD

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: How long are you holding your draw before releasing?

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Sounds like we have a lot in common, mainly old age and health issues, at least we don’t have to worry about dying young! I am struggling with releasing too quickly. Yesterday I used the lightest draw weight I have trying to overcome it, still found myself releasing prematurely. I never shoot many arrows at a time, not worth the pain later, but try to shoot a few regularly.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Jerry, try shooting an ultra-light bow (20-30#) at close range for your daily workout. When I was healing from an overbow injury several years ago, this helped tremendously. Don't get too far back or the rainbow trajectory will start messing with your mind. You can do your daily workouts this way and stay sharp and finish up with a half dozen shots from your normal bow at normal range to make sure you keep your edge. Worked for me, anyway.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#4 Post by Grizzly »

My normal bow is 20 to 30 pounds. :roll:

My old bows are now for the kids to divvy up some day. I can't use them anymore but I still can hold for a bit as I settle into the shot. Actually, 2 or 3 seconds is a long time for me to settle into the shot before the release. Any longer and things would probably begin to come apart. 2 or 3 seconds is really all I need to confirm full draw, check my alignment, aim and then release. Too much thinking about anything usually causes problems with me. Something to do with not being led by His Spirit I think.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

joe harrod1945

#5 Post by joe harrod1945 »

i like my 40# bow my draw length is 27" so the poundage is 37 lbs it feels natural at draw.keep it natural an simple.

Jamesh76

#6 Post by Jamesh76 »

1-2 seconds after anchor.

Return to “Practice/Training”