The tumor of my 3D target

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
jaydee2trad

The tumor of my 3D target

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

By my nature, I don't like to buy something that I can make or repair. I have taken the broken things that others have thrown away and fixed them for my own use or for others. And then the sticker shock for what something new costs encourages me to keep fixing or re-using what I already have. The same goes for my 3D targets, I do my best to get my money's worth out of them. One target had been repaired so many times for so many years that it literally crumbled away. The one that I have now is over 11 years old and has a decent tumor growing out of the kill area. This is the fourth or fifth tumor that it has had, the head is long gone but it still has a deer like form and stops my arrows. When an area gets too shot out, I go get a can of the foam filler and fill them. I try to keep the repair from looking too bad but it is what it is. A quick shot of brown paint and it's good to go for another year or two. I also save effa foam type things that come with stuff for practice or repairs. So various ones have asked why the target looks like it does and so I explain. Earlier this year my wife tried to get me to just buy another deer 3D target but after checking the prices, I just bought anotheer can and called it good. I mean another target is a dozen good arrows. I am about function anyways and not so much on being perfectly purdy. I now have an old sheet of 3/4" waferboard behind my target because of the sheer rock population of my land LOL. I have rocks with a smattering of dirt scattered here and there. stump shooting here can be rather expensive. Anyways, the tumors of my 3D target are my friend. plus I have seen several deer with tumors on their bodies over the years, most eventually fall off. Jerry

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: The tumor of my 3D target

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

I am forced to be stingy now that extra cash is a thing of the past. But I make due quite well with what I can make, repair, or have handed down by others. My targets consist of old cores that have been removed for replacement, pieces of hand me down targets, and whatever else I can use! As long as it works! :mrgreen:
Attachments
879DED0B-D574-4826-BD8B-3AE909BCC017.jpeg
879DED0B-D574-4826-BD8B-3AE909BCC017.jpeg (239.84 KiB) Viewed 470 times
A8717F5F-D7BE-4F1A-A8E4-426FF94471A7.jpeg
A8717F5F-D7BE-4F1A-A8E4-426FF94471A7.jpeg (218.06 KiB) Viewed 470 times

Grizzly

#3 Post by Grizzly »

A friend made a great backstop for his targets out of the blocks that the tongues of new utility trailers sit on before they are sold at farm stores. They eventually need to get rid of them and if your timing is right, you can get alot of them. I kept a few for broadhead targets to take hunting when I wanted to take some practice shots during lunch or evening. If it lasts a hunting season for free, why not?

Another thing I did for years was save all the plastic that new cars are protected with when being transported and delivered to the dealerships. When I had enough I'd stuff a new target bag.

I don't think I ever did have a deer target. So, before the season, I'd bring home a large box that a new radiator came in. Then I'd use my deer template made from measuring the body size of either adult or young deer and spray paint the outline on the cardboard box in black, spray out from the outline to all the edges and have a nice carboard colored deer target. Sketch in the vitals if you want and then bill the box with other cardboard or more plastic bags and coverings I'd accumulate. You just can't leave it out in the rain.

I always wanted an old alligator or skunk target to stuff inside my drain culvert under the driveway by the road. Then go sip some coffee on the deck as the dog walkers go by.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

I've repaired mine with foam several times now. There's a thread on here somewhere.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”