My style of shooting

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
jaydee2trad

My style of shooting

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

I never had any formal instruction on shooting a bow. Just watched various men hunting with them back in the good ole days. I just got out there and let it rip for a long time but finally settled down into trying to be more consistent at my shooting. I did the compound thing for a while with various compounds but always seemed to end up shooting them instinctive. I got pretty good with them but loved shooting the Oneidas because they were so similar to a recurve. Those bows actually helped me in learn more about form and clean releases. But then I got into bowfishing and the recurve sure fit the bill. I got the longbow bug and really got serious about shooting better. I knew that my focus was my worst problem and decided to be the master of the close tiny targets and then work my way outward. I have never consciously thought about gap shooting or using the tip of the arrow, I just focused on the tiny target and kept shooting until it became an easy hit. I would then float back and forth at different distances while shooting at these tiny targets. I was a lousy paper target shot but could hit the head of a flower at 25 yards no problem. As much as I like shooting recurves, the longbow is what really calls me. When I have plenty of time, I go to full draw and kind of float up and down a little on the target until it just feels good and then release. I guess that I settle into my shot and release but my main focus is on the target. It has helped me on dark hunts for critters, nothing to think about, just shoot. I realized a long time ago not to argue with the brain on shots after having shot a bow for a while. The brain is an amazing asset when we allow it to work things out. For me, being able to hit that 1/2" target consistently at 10-15 yards makes it easier to pick a spot on the animal. Again, no real thinking about it, you just pick your spot and do it. That squirrel is so much bigger than a bee or a wasp that it can seem like cheating. I guess it is all about repetition at various distances. I shot a lot of moving targets over the years, a lot of them alive. Its tougher now with my left eye problems but still very doable. A good longbow is like a comfortable pair of jeans, well if the poundage is where it needs to be, it just feels right in the hand. nothing special but bad news to some things. It is a nice thing to go from "I think I can hit it" to "I know that I can hit it." I really don't like having to think too hard on a shot because that's when I will miss because I over think it. Keeping it simple and loving it.

joe harrod1945

Re: My style of shooting

#2 Post by joe harrod1945 »

aaamen to that brother,

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: My style of shooting

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm a firm believer in keeping it simple.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”