"Pick A Spot"

The majority of your bowhunting year is spent practicing and/or training. This is the place to discuss it!
Captainkirk
Site Admin

"Pick A Spot"

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

We've all heard it before, be it on an animal during hunting, or a blank target butt during practice. "Pick a spot, and bore a hole through it with your eyes".
Not so easily done when there IS no spot!
I generally find if I've already loosed an arrow, it's pretty easy to just hone in on the fletching as your 'spot' and come pretty close (in fact, I buy nocks by the hundred for this reason!) but when blank baling or shooting at an unmarked block, putting that first arrow where I want it can be challenging. Anyone have any techniques that help in this area?
Aim small, miss small!

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: "Pick A Spot"

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

At 3D shoots I like to let a good shooter go first cause it gives me something to aim at. :oops:
But deer got no bright fletching! Deer do have ticks, at least in my mind, I find one mentally where I need it to be. Once I determine I am going to take the shot I try not to see much else beside the tick. “Pick a tick” :lol:

Jamesh76

#3 Post by Jamesh76 »

I am certain what type of Target you are shooting at. Typically I shoot just above where the crease ends behind the front leg. If your shooting at a 3D Target, take a sharpie and mark the crease it’s visible just as was a live animal. If it’s a bale or something, take a piece of hose and some nails and make a crease. A lot of times when I’m shooting Trad, I shoot 1 arrow , retrieve again and again. After all it’s the first arrow which matters. We get too caught up often trying to group well. I think birch wood Casey makes some paper targets pretty cheap you could put over a block or bale if needed. Just shoot 1 at a time, trying for great grouping can be depressing. 1 shot 1 kill!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

Good and encouraging advice! Yes, I think way too often I overthink the process trying to wring a tight little group of three when all that really matters is the first arrow. I need to work on that. I also like the idea of using the crease as my 'tick' and highlighting it. I'll give these methods a try.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Practice/Training”