Some nice gobblers to get you in the mood

Big Game not the only game in town? Talk about hunting medium and small game here!
dhaverstick

Some nice gobblers to get you in the mood

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

Right at daylight, the gobblers were hammering it Saturday morning behind my house. There's a big hay field down there and they love to roost on the north side of it and do turkey stuff in the field all morning. Unfortunately, I don't have permission to hunt there but I can look. I slipped down there around 8:30 Saturday morning and spotted these four toms just hanging around. I watched them for a while and then, for some reason, they started running right towards me. I videoed them until they got about 20 yards away and then they started getting spooky. It sure got my heartrate up, that's for sure!
Darren

Greg Felty

Re: Some nice gobblers to get you in the mood

#2 Post by Greg Felty »

Thanks for sharing
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks, Darren! Right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy... :D
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

got a lot of turkey memories. I quit hunting them when I began calling hunters in looking for me. You have to be very careful about moving or you might get shot and we had several people shot over the years. one blinded and several killed. but I loved it and loved the challenge of calling them. they also fried up pretty good too!

dhaverstick

#5 Post by dhaverstick »

jaydee2trad wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 6:03 am got a lot of turkey memories. I quit hunting them when I began calling hunters in looking for me. You have to be very careful about moving or you might get shot and we had several people shot over the years. one blinded and several killed. but I loved it and loved the challenge of calling them. they also fried up pretty good too!
I am very fortunate to have a lot of private land to hunt on so I avoid all that. However, I did have a scary incident a few years ago when I had permission to hunt some property close to my house. I had one of those Montana Decoys Full Strut Gobblers out in a field edge and a couple of kids who were trespassing on that land started sneaking up on it. I saw them sneaking through the woods and hollered at them so they knew I was there. They admitted that they were fooled by the decoy and were coming in for a shot. Their direction of travel would have had them shooting right at me. Scared the bejeezus out of me!

Every year I learn about the hunting accidents that take place during turkey season and it infuriates me because 99.9% of them could have been avoided if the perpetrator would have just followed simple gun safety rules. Turkey hunting is a close range sport and I cannot see any way in the world that a responsible hunter could mistake a human being for a turkey. In our state's regulations, it plainly says "turkey with visible beard". With that, how could you mistake another hunter for a bird? I personally think that the powers-that-be should up the penalty for such a transgression to something like an automatic $10,000 fine and losing your hunting privileges for life. Maybe then folks would think twice before shooting into the brush because they heard a turkey-like sound.

Darren

Return to “Medium and Small Game Hunting”