First ever trad harvest

Big Game not the only game in town? Talk about hunting medium and small game here!
stumper

First ever trad harvest

#1 Post by stumper »

I am honored that this little guy gave his life that Me and mine may have sustenance aka meat in the freezer. Additionally, this is my first ever trad harvest. Shot was made from 10 yards with Sirus (45lbs slick stick). More details to come.
Attachments
09EEC1A7-92D6-436F-AA06-06EE01442780.jpeg
09EEC1A7-92D6-436F-AA06-06EE01442780.jpeg (171.58 KiB) Viewed 910 times
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: First ever trad harvest

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Wow...nice work, Dave! I hear they are good eating if prepared right. Let me tell you, I think it's harder to bag a bushytail than a whitetail, all things considered.
Awesome job!
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

Nicely done sir. I have heard they are tough to put down. Did you take him out with a blunt or broadheads?

Longbowfanatic

#4 Post by Longbowfanatic »

Nice job! That's a small target. I love eating squirrel!

Jose

#5 Post by Jose »

Great job on the squirrel Dave!! They eat good!!!

Jose

#6 Post by Jose »

Nice job on the squirrel Dave!! They eat good....

Shadowhntr

#7 Post by Shadowhntr »

Oh my goodness!!! What a shot! Im green with envy... :mrgreen:

Squirrel is EXCELLENT eating...yum!

My biggest congratulations to you Dave!...that is a mighty hard target.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

Re: First ever trad harvest details

#8 Post by stumper »

Alright here are the details on the hunt. Well, my house is near a patch of woods and we have plenty of squirrels that come in and out of our backyard. Last year I took approximately 3 shots at squirrels and missed all of them by very small margins (broke two arrows and lost a broadhead). Today I got my slick stick out and started to do some target practice in the backyard and suffice it to say it was not going well at all. I hung the bow up for a couple hours and then decided that even if I was shooting poorly at least I was outside. I was also determined to fix my form and get back to shooting well, as I have been doing lately. After a couple dozen shots I worked out the back tension issue I was having and was back on fire. Just then I heard the scream of a squirrel that I had been watching for a couple days and he was in my front yard.... Now to add to the complexity of the issue, I live in a neighborhood and cars are coming down my street all the time. I actually hid behind my car and observed for a while, until I felt that the shot would go unnoticed. The squirrel knew something was up and would not let me closer than 20 yards. Using a hidden approach I closed the gap to 10 yards behind a large water oak. I then exposed just the tip of my arrow and thwack hit him a little further back than I intended, but it is a small target. He was hunched on his back legs when I shot, so it was like shooting a tennis ball at 10 yards... As of now, I have not decided on what kind of dedicated small game tips I want to buy yet, so today I used a field tip on the arrow. The tip penetrated both sides and nicked the spine. Now, I know that squirrel are very tough game and I thought the possibility existed that he would need some help making it to squirrel heaven, especially if the shot was not perfect. I had a small wooden mallet handy for such an occasion for a quick knock on the noggin to make things more humane. Just before I could knock him on the noggin he turned back around and bit a huge chuck out of the arrow as an act of revenge. And yes he did ruin the arrow..... Anyway, I am grateful for the meat and if I can add a couple more we will have a gumbo. However, this hunt was a super confidence booster and I am going to be getting some proper small game tips, after a bit of research and bring some small game arrows with me deer hunting. I love rabbit and squirrel so looks like I might be doing a bit more small game hunting when I don't have time to go out and deer hunt.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

If I did that, I'd be in 'cuffs. (city ordinance)
Great story, though! I recently bought some of the 3Rivers 'Bunny Busters' and man, those things whomp HARD. Exploded a gallon jug of water like a .357 Mag. And they don't seem to affect accuracy at small game distances either. Best part; they slip on over a tapered wood shaft, no glue needed.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#10 Post by stumper »

Captainkirk wrote:If I did that, I'd be in 'cuffs. (city ordinance)
Great story, though! I recently bought some of the 3Rivers 'Bunny Busters' and man, those things whomp HARD. Exploded a gallon jug of water like a .357 Mag. And they don't seem to affect accuracy at small game distances either. Best part; they slip on over a tapered wood shaft, no glue needed.
Lucky for me the ordinances here don't cover bows :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Return to “Medium and Small Game Hunting”