Stumpy the squirrel gets a pass.

Big Game not the only game in town? Talk about hunting medium and small game here!
stumper

Stumpy the squirrel gets a pass.

#1 Post by stumper »

For years I have hunted the squirrels in my front yard. Living in a residential neighborhood conditions must be perfect in order for a shot to occur. Only 4 shots have occurred within two years resulting in 3 hits.

Because most of these squirrels reside in my front yard no neighbors can be outside and no cars on the street. Would not want to leave any witnesses to a potential squirell massacre. Many mornings I will get up in watch the squirrels in the front yard and by the time I have strung a bow the squirrels have a left the area.

I will then poked my head out the front door bow in hand with a single arrow in attempt to get within 15 yd of a squirrel. This is no easy task considering the squirrels in the front of my yard are well extremely squirrelly.

Among the squirrels in my front yard is a squirrel with half a tail that I have affectionately named stumpy. Stumpy and I have had many interactions 3 to be exact, but perhaps the story should be prefaced with the fact that in the last 2 years I have only shot at squirrels 4 times. Stumpy frightens easily maybe it has to do with his half tail. About a year ago I took a shot at stumpy and missed clean and since then I had it in my mind that 1 day I would get him. About 6 months later I loaded up my 42 pound widow maker and a field point and drilled him right in the side. However he proceeded to run right up the tree with my arrow which fell down about a day later.

3 to 4 days later I began to see stumpy again with a new mark on his side. This morning was no exception and stumpy was busy in the yard feeding himself and knowing my history with the squirrel I grabbed my 56 pound longbow and a rubber blunt. True to form stumpy was spooked by my presence and began to run up a tree when he paused midway I took my shot and drilled him in the side which knocked him clean out of the tree from 15 yards.

Stumpy righted himself and ran to a nearby oak where he was moving slower than usual but very much alive. I definitely aim to harvest game in a manner that is clean and efficient but this squirrel has made that difficult. Because he has survived three of my attacks have decided to call a truce with stumpy and give him a pass.

Needless to say squirrel have earned respect in my book as a very difficult game to harvest. P.s. skip the rubber blunts for small game.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

Re: Stumpy the squirrel gets a pass.

#2 Post by Graps »

This reminds me.
Back in the late 70s, I was hunting with the manager of the archery shop.
He always teased me about shooting 80#
As we were walking out of the woods he spotted a squirrel looking at him through a crotch of a tree.
The squirrel was completely concealed by the tree with only its head exposed.
My friend grabbed a blunt and hit the squirrel right under the chin. The squirrels head whipped back and it proceeded to continue to look at him.
He nocked another blunt and hit the squirrel exactly the same way and the same result.
As the squirrel was still looking at him, he looked at me and said " that's why you shoot 80# isn't it, for squirrels "
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Last one I killed was with a 45 lb bow and I skewered him with a field point. While pinned he proceeded to chew the arrow in half. Thinking about some small game broad heads. For Stumpy though all he will receive from now on is a glance of admiration.

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

They are an amazingly tough critter.
I have always just used a broadhead. And still have shot them on the ground and watched them run up a tree.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

These "Bunny Busters" from Ace look pretty mean.
https://acearcherytackle.com/home/ace-hex-blunts/
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (4.31 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

White Falcon

#6 Post by White Falcon »

Mine are gone as soon as they hear the door open.

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

I bought too big a bag of bird seed too late in the season. So, it might as well get used up since it most likely will mold over the summer. If the squirrels have defeated the squirrel proof bird feeders (if there is such a thing) or if the birds are extra hungry this winter, it doesn't matter this year. Let them all eat. But when I find out who is biting the tops off of the tulips, grrr.....

Not us..
b21159dce56dfeb1706cb0149061ad3b.jpg
b21159dce56dfeb1706cb0149061ad3b.jpg (42.94 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#8 Post by Carpdaddy »

That’s funny stuff, I think stumpy earned his pass, probably too tough to chew anyway! :lol:

stumper

#9 Post by stumper »

HE LIVES! first time I have seen him since I shot him the second time. Dark mark on his side right in the middle is where I previously hit him with a field point.
Attachments
IMG_05042019_104836_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg
IMG_05042019_104836_(600_x_600_pixel).jpg (86.31 KiB) Viewed 571 times

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Makes a nice target bull, doesn't it? 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Medium and Small Game Hunting”