A couple of beaver

Big Game not the only game in town? Talk about hunting medium and small game here!
jaydee2trad

A couple of beaver

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

We were actually bowfishing one day and night. I had taken several gar and a couple carp when the game warden pulled up to check us out. I knew the warden but he didn't know the guy that was with me and so he boarded my boat. He said that we were the first ones that he had ever seen bowfishing from a boat on the lake. We talked for a little bit and then he got back into his boat and left. A few minutes later, he was back and pulled up beside me. I was curious as to the why but then he quickly told me. He quietly told me that he had been getting a lot of complaints on the numerous beaver damage around the lake. I quickly told him that it was illegal to shoot one after dark. He just smiled and told me, "you would be helping me do my job." I answered okay and he was off. We went about our business of rough fish bowfishing into the night. A month later, I ran into the warden and he asked if we had any luck. So I told him that I had taken two beaver that night, the only two that I got a shot at. He thanked me and went on. At this point, there was a $10 bounty on their tails as proof. Those muzzy trocar tips were pretty mean tips.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

Re: A couple of beaver

#2 Post by Carpdaddy »

Cool story! Never shot a Beaver, pretty rare to see around here, but I see signs of them. Those tails make good bow grip wraps. :mrgreen:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

That's unusual..."you would be helping me do my job". If you didn't know the guy, I'd say it could be a set-up.
Aim small, miss small!

jaydee2trad

#4 Post by jaydee2trad »

Yeah, if I hadn't known him at all, no way. But he was known as a good man and you could see the beaver damage. He was actually surprised that I had taken any carp, he said that they didn't think there was any. I had just missed an opportunity for a shot minutes earlier LOL. He is the uncle of a guy I fish with a lot now. I don't think he would have said that if he wasn't covered up with other stuff because he would have trapped them. I think that he was spread out pretty thin.

Return to “Medium and Small Game Hunting”