Tell me a story

Announcements for Great hunts, Traditional Bows and Hunting Gear Giveaways
Forum rules
You must be over the age of 18 to be in hunt draws. If you win a hunt or a Traditional bow you are not eligible to win that category prize again for one year. Good luck.
Graps

Re: Tell me a story

#11 Post by Graps »

Well if you don't get more than just call the whole thing off . Story telling is one of my strong points . I like telling them because I never know how they will turn out .
I hope to see more myself , I like a good story .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Graps

#12 Post by Graps »

When I was about 18 years old my parents took me to Ontario Canada for a moose hunt . The hunting lodge we were at was called Telfords and it was on Deer Lake north of International Falls Minnesota . We had to fly in because the lodge was on an island .

After we got there we were introduced to the guides , my mom and dad had a guide named Tom and I had a guide named Patty who was Tom's father .

Patty was part Sioux and Blackfoot with a little French . He spoke several Native American languages as well as french and English . The amazing thing about him was that he was 83 years old and in better shape than I was .

Patty liked to tease me and he called me cookie boy because I always ate the cookies that were packed in our lunch . And I might add that those lunches were incredible , there would be pork roast sandwiches made with fresh home made bread along with fruit and other goodies . Did I mention the home made cookies ?

He did seem kinda puzzled as to why someone my age was wanting to take a moose with a bow and arrow . He thought that I should be using a rifle but I told him if I could get within 30 yards I felt like I could get the job done .

We had been together for a few days and he told me stories during lunch that I am sure were a little bit a whole bunch made up , but entertaining none the less . Then he was going to drop me off on this very large island and he was going to go to the other side and see if he could push a moose my way . Before he left me he told me of a bear that the locals call Manu-tout , it is a big bear with red fur and cant be killed . He claimed that it also had an arrow sticking out of the back of its head . I chuckled to myself and thought , here we go with another whopper . He insisted that if I saw it to not move and above all don't try and shoot it even though I had a tag good for bear and deer as well .

So off he went and I found a good spot to sit where he told me to be . I was in that spot about an hour when I saw some movement and it was big . My heart started to race and my ears tingled from the excitement . I was sure that a moose was headed my way . It was coming closer and I could see that it was a bear . I kinda chuckled to myself and thought that might be the one called Manu-tout . I was almost laughing out loud to my self be cause if how silly that story was when I could see that it was a cinnamon faze black bear . It was huge and kinda waddled side to side while it walked . It was coming straight at me and sniffing the air constantly with its head moving side to side . I started to let my imagination run wild , I was shaking , sweating and I could hardly breathe .

I tried to calm myself and realize that this was just a coincidence , then it stopped and turned so I could see the back of its head . There was something sticking out about the size of a pencil. I was petrified ! What should I do ?

Thinking about what Patty told me and considered that maybe the past shots were just not placed properly . I got up my nerve and decided if the bear was to present me with a perfect shot I would take it .

The bear started toward me again , stopped about ten yards away , turned sideways to me slightly quartering away . PERFECT ! I stared at a single hair and let fly with all confidence and watched the fletching burrow out of sight into the big bruin . The bear just stood there , slowly turned and looked me dead in the eye , started to walk towards me . It came straight at me and I couldn't get another arrow to my string . it came closer and closer and not two feet away it collapsed and its head landed in my lap .

I think I must have passed out because the next thing I saw was Patty standing over me and saying WOW YOU GOT HIM !

Patty said that wasn't the bear he was talking about , the other one was much bigger and red , not cinnamon .

You mean to tell me I got so scared for nothing ?

Turns out the bear I got had a stick stuck in its fur and the whole thing was just a coincidences . So that story that patty told me was just a story .

Or was it ?
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Tradman

#13 Post by Tradman »

No matter...one of you will win even if its only a few of you.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

C'mon, fellers...anyone can tell a campfire yarn. I'm sure you tell 'em in deer or elk camp all the time. Maybe if you're really nice to Graps he'll borrow you one of his?
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#15 Post by Captainkirk »

Larry, are we allowed more than one entry? My last one was sorta off the cuff...
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#16 Post by Graps »

The only reason I have more than one story is , nobody was posting . I am not interested in a prize I just like telling stories .So Larry , I Quit , no more from me . Let who ever will at least try to put a story on here have it .
I feel sorry for you Larry, you try so hard and we just can't seem to get any momentum going . It ain't that tough ,I am using a cell phone to do my posting , so if I can do it anybody can .

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

We have a pretty good group here (albeit small) Graps. If we can keep it going (and lively) sooner or later fresh blood will come by and join in. This much fun oughta be illegal!
Aim small, miss small!

Tradman

#18 Post by Tradman »

Just need to spread the word about this website.The more members we get the better the giveaways get.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT AND IT'S NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHAT'S WRONG....LOU HOLTZ

Graps

#19 Post by Graps »

Been trying to tell everybody that I find out shoots trad . Its surprising how many don't want to or claim they don't have time .

Tradman

#20 Post by Tradman »

someday this site will be the one to join.Patience is required.I have big plans just have to get things rolling at full speed.

Return to “Gear, Bows and Hunt Giveaways”