my son needed some help with his bow setup

Love to bow fish? This here's the place to talk about it and show your braggin' pictures!
jaydee2trad

my son needed some help with his bow setup

#1 Post by jaydee2trad »

So, out of the blue my son calls me and says that he need some help with a new recurve/bowfishing setup that he had just bought. He was hitting way to the right and the arrows were nearly slapping instead of sticking the fish. He wanted a fix over the phone but I had no clue as to what he had. So he came by with it and it was nothing like we used to use. it was a heavy 45# recurve, made in china with way past center cut cast into the riser. It came with the finger gloves on the string and non adjustable. It had a rest sort of similar to a Whisker Biscuit. It also had a closed reel that looked heavy duty enough. The arrow had the sliding collar setup that I don't like at all. But it did have a decent Muzzy head on it. So we went outside to see how it shot. He shot it and then I shot it and it was awful. So, after a couple rest adjustments, I finally got it shooting straight like it was supposed to. The sliding collar setup seemed to be a slower shot than what I remembered just shooting off the shelf with the line along beside the arrow. You have to make sure that the stop is pointed upwards when you nock the arrow too. I just like the way a lot better, simple and effecient. But...it sure was good to be remembered for helping him with his new bow. So I told him, No excuses now! He was walking along a once favorite bow fishing spot of mine and seeing plenty of gar and carp. Wish I could walk again good enough to bowfishing again. JD

Grizzly

Re: my son needed some help with his bow setup

#2 Post by Grizzly »

My 20 year old Grandson just came out with an old photo of us shooting recurves when he was pretty little. He's looking forward to me setting up the storage shed with a backstop so we can shoot again at home. There is something about traditional archery that never grows old and always seems to be revived, no matter how long we stay away.

Just about the time I was about to set up a fishing bow for carp, we moved away from the country back to the city. I've been drawn to it a few times but never did follow through. Never been close to a gar either. I hear you want to keep a club nearby for those toothy little devils. Glad to hear you had a good time with your boy and the bows again. I still cherish those years with my Dad so long ago.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: my son needed some help with his bow setup

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Sounds like both of you are grooming the next gen of trad shooters and hunters!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bowfishing”