My Granddaughter

Our Link To The Future Of Trad Hunting
Captainkirk
Site Admin

My Granddaughter

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

I'd like to kick this off by introducing my granddaughter Evie, my "littlest shooter"...for years she watched Daddy and Grandpa (me) shooting in the back yard, for her 3d birthday I got her a kiddie set from 3Rivers. The bow wasn't bad but the arrows sucked, really a disappointment as they wouldn't stay nocked, flew terrible, and kept rotating around the string axis (typical for new shooters). My son bought her a Little Bear set a year later; marginally better but not much hope of hitting the target from more than 5 feet. I did take her stumping last summer up north and she was able to hit some big trees and such...

Starting last year I began entering her name each month in another forum's givaways hosted by Mike Mecredy of Maddog who was giving away a Pup each month. Being part Irish, it tickled me to no end when she won the March 17th (St. Patrick's Day) giveaway of a green-themed bow, arrows, string, tab and armguard. She loves the bow, but full disclosure; at 15# she still has a hard time getting full draw and can't hold it; her aim goes out the window, but she will grow into it! Whether or nor trad archery or hunting "takes" or not doesn't matter; I feel I've provided the seeds to let it sprout and grow, God willing!
I'm super-proud of my little granddaughter, and hope the tradbug bites her!

Evie stumping with G'pa in the north woods

Evie with her St. Paddy's prize package

The bow...Maddog Pup, 15# Irish-themed bow!

The accessories..

The bow itself is gorgeous...

Happy Daddy and daughter...I surprised them both by not telling them I had been entering her name!

Aim small, miss small!

Jamesh76

Re: My Granddaughter

#2 Post by Jamesh76 »

very nice! I just set you a PM.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#3 Post by Captainkirk »

Thanks, James.
Kids rock.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#4 Post by Graps »

Looks like she's off to a good start .
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#5 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote:Looks like she's off to a good start .
Yep, don't get much better than a Maddog Pup for a first "real" bow! :mrgreen:
Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#6 Post by dhaverstick »

That is awesome, Kirk! Glad to see the "sickness" being passed down to the next generation.

Darren

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

That's awesome Kirk, I have also been putting into the bow drawing and my niece won last month, just got the bow in the mail yesterday. got any tips for teaching little ones?

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote:That's awesome Kirk, I have also been putting into the bow drawing and my niece won last month, just got the bow in the mail yesterday. got any tips for teaching little ones?
Yep, be patient! :lol:
I started Evie out just drawing and releasing at point blank range at a stack of straw bales...no target, no pressure. Kinda let the arrows go where they wanna go and concentrate more on the muscle functions of draw and release. Aiming comes later, after the muscle coordination begins to 'take a set'
Oh, and please share! We'd love to see pix of the bow and your niece shooting it!
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#9 Post by Longtrad »

Will do, just got it yesterday so havent had much time to get pics, we are still working on what hand to grab the bow with lol. Putting the little armguard on her helps her with that though

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote:Will do, just got it yesterday so havent had much time to get pics, we are still working on what hand to grab the bow with lol. Putting the little armguard on her helps her with that though
I forgot to mention; at this stage of the game it's critical to determine eye dominance so you can decide if she will shoot righty or southpaw. I didn't discover I was left eye dominant until it was way too late and I can't shoot lefty worth a darn, so I'm stuck that way now. For a new archer, they don't know the difference.
I'm sure you know how to check for eye dominance, but if not, give a holler.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Youth Archers and Trad Hunters”