The Witchery of Archery

Read any good Bow Books lately? Here's the spot to talk about it.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

The Witchery of Archery

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

My copy arrived today. While I purchased this on Amazon Books, it came as 'used' from Goodwill and supposedly in very good condition...

"Used"? "Very good condition"?

I honestly do not believe this book was ever opened, let alone read. It was flat as a pancake, no dog-eared pages, and there is not even a crease on the spine;

All for a whopping $8.50 plus shipping.... 8-)

I'm enjoying the read immensely so far. More on this when I finish the book.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: The Witchery of Archery

#2 Post by Graps »

Next :? :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

stumper

#3 Post by stumper »

Such a good read. Now you see why I've been recommending it.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

stumper wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 am Such a good read. Now you see why I've been recommending it.
I most certainly do!
I should probably finish up tonight or tomorrow and will do a full review right here on this thread.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#5 Post by Graps »

Captainkirk wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:43 am
stumper wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:35 am Such a good read. Now you see why I've been recommending it.
I most certainly do!
I should probably finish up tonight or tomorrow and will do a full review right here on this thread.
And then who are you going to send it to? :roll:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#6 Post by Captainkirk »

Nobody. It can stay here in case anyone in the future might be interested in the book.
Aim small, miss small!

EWill

#7 Post by EWill »

This book should be in every archers library, and read many times.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

EWill wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:29 pm This book should be in every archers library, and read many times.
Amen!
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Before I read this book, I had no idea I was a "toxophilite" :shock:
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

First of all, Dave (stumper) is correct about two things:

1) They don't write books like this any more, and;

2) Every trad archer should read this book.

You're not going to learn about how to shoot, or how to hunt reading this book. Why read it then? Well, for one, it's a glorious painting of an era gone by, and life afield with a longbow and handmade arrows. The colorful language and terminology are indicative of a time when people knew how to write and describe their experiences in terms that many have lost today. I found myself eagerly anticipating the next chapter, the next page, even the next sentence and stayed up reading much longer than I should have as a result. I literally did not want to put this book down. The editors of the reprinted version in their foreword, made a sort of lame apology for Thompson's somewhat typical view of his "servant", Caesar, and his Indian mentor "Tommy", though I did not find it the least bit offensive or demeaning, and was likely very typical for the time period (post Civil-war). In fact, he showed much affection and admiration of both, in my opinion. I personally think we've gone way over the PC hill in this country, when even the term "Indian" is deemed derogatory...but I digress. Back to the story.
There were several chapters on English archery and equipment that were not on par with the brilliant descriptive writings and tale-telling of the rest of the book, but they were by no means uninteresting or boring...on the contrary, they set the stage for the period and era in which the book was written. Considering the fact that on this side of the Big Pond, this one tome was pretty much responsible for the 'White Man's' archery resurgence in North America speaks volumes for the book. I think it's safe to say Saxton Pope, Art Young, Fred Bear, Howard Hill and all the other great traditional archers and hunters of the 20th Century owe a debt of gratitude for this book and the ideals it represents.
It was also a trip to a different lifestyle...who today can just 'up and decide to' take a four month trip down to undiscovered Lake Okeechobee in the everglades and spend a quarter of a year living like a savage, shooting at game indiscriminately as the fancy strikes you? Or spend weeks on an island with an indigenous guide to teach you the subtleties and nuances of the Indian way of life? Thompson talks about literally loosing hundreds of handmade arrows a day, many times losing the majority of them, at birds in flight or at various tree critters. Who among us has this kind of liberty and freedom today? He draws some criticism from the editors for his sometimes indiscriminate slaughter of animals that are protected today, but it was a different time and there were no game laws or bag limits to observe back then. That, and the fact that he and sibling Will were probably only a handful of non-indigenous people shooting arrows makes it all the more innocent in my view.
Anyway, there you have it. A great book for the trad archer and hunter, an inspiring and fascinating read, and 8 bucks well-spent for me! :D
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Bookshelf”