Got my new hogleg yesterday!

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
stumper

Re: Got my new hogleg yesterday!

#11 Post by stumper »

Been seriously considering the 50 cal Lyman pistol.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#12 Post by Captainkirk »

Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:43 am Been seriously considering the 50 cal Lyman pistol.
Only negative thing I have to say about the Plains Pistol is that when you bring it up to point and aim, you may find (as I do) that the muzzle is pointed up. You need to shift your grip downward on the grip to get line-of-sight aligned, but after several shots your mind compensates and shooting seems normal. This might be a issue if you are attempting a cold quick shot and is more apparent after shooting a normal handgun beforehand.
The other quirk I've heard was that the .54 cal versions have a higher than normal problem with the stocks cracking at the bend area...likely due to the heavier powder loads used in a .54 and ball weight compared to the .50 version.(kinetic energy/recoil)
I would recommend this pistol to anyone.
Aim small, miss small!

stumper

#13 Post by stumper »

What kind of accuracy do u get out of this kind of pistol?
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

Flemish Dave wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm What kind of accuracy do u get out of this kind of pistol?
Very good. Sub-3" groups @ 25 yds offhand using .495 RB and .010 patches. Yeah, they are a very tight fit, better suited for range work than hunting, but I was mightily impressed with this thing.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#15 Post by Graps »

I might just have to get me a flintlock pistol too.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”