Random Hobbies/Collections

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Graps

Re: Random Hobbies/Collections

#11 Post by Graps »

That's sweet.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#12 Post by Carpdaddy »

Building bows and hunting related items. Use to fish way too much but sickness stopped it, doing better now but never got back into it. I’m in Church and preaching so often weekly that I am not working on anything right now.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#13 Post by Captainkirk »

Blackpowder revolvers. I have a couple.

1858 Remingtons...

A few Colts...

...not including the project Walker I just picked up last month...

...or the Rogers & Spencer that I appear to be missing photos of.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#14 Post by Captainkirk »

Here's a fairly recent photo of my Excam 1851 Navy in .36 cal. This one took a lot of action work to make decent; the hammer and trigger felt like someone had dropped it on a sand dune. It now cycles and functions nearly perfectly and is a great little shooter, and pretty darned accurate with 18gr of 3F and a .375 round ball over a lubed wad.

EXCAM importer's mark...

Barrel stamping indicating manufacturer (COM). Note the rough tooling marks present. This is on the bottom barrel flat, obscured by the loading lever, but still...seriously?

Proof marks and date code (AD) indicating year of manufacture (1978)

Barrel

Very nice wood grain on the grip...

Naval battle scene roll-engraved on cylinder...

Curious "double stamping" on barrel...looks as if someone stamped ".36" over ".44" caliber marking. Pretty cool, almost like a double stamped coin.

This was the second BP revolver I purchased, and if you haven't guessed, I'm pretty fond of it. And if you noticed the "turn ring" on the cylinder, yes...I've addressed the timing issue (early bolt timing) and fixed that as well. Just gotta get rid of the "ring-around-the-collar"... :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#15 Post by Graps »

You have a nice collection.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#16 Post by Shadowhntr »

I'll say! ...some of them had me drooling pretty good!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#17 Post by Captainkirk »

I'm just getting started. 8-)
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#18 Post by Graps »

Something I like about a flinter, when the black flies and mosquitos are out, they don't stick around after the first shot.
Sequence of events:
Shoot the flinter
Shoot the longbow for a few minuets.
Shoot the flinter .....
You get it. :D

PS: Much more fun than using a thermo cell

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#19 Post by Captainkirk »

This post is probably better served here...the newest member of my collection.

New Starr on the way...
For those of you not familiar, the Starr revolver was the third most-issued Union service revolver issued during the ACW (American Civil War), though history has mostly forgotten this in favor of Colt and Remington replicas. I was fortunate enough to stumble across a NIB (New In Box) Pietta Starr SA (Single Action) revolver from a dealer in CO through an acquaintance on one of my black powder forums and struck a deal. While I've not seen the gun, my acquaintance has, and gave it the thumbs-up. This should be joining my little collection shortly...

For you history buffs...
Starr made two version; the double action (DA) which began production in 1858, available in both .36 (Navy) caliber and .44 (Army) caliber. The DA proved troublesome and complex with a very heavy trigger pull; the Department of War asked Starr if they could produce a simpler (and cheaper ) SA version, which they did beginning in 1863 (only in Army caliber, .44) The new SA revolvers sold for $12.00 in comparison to the DA at $22.00 apiece. There are quite a few original Starrs out there on the gun auction sites in both SA and DA, but "they ain't cheap", as the saying goes...beginning at around $1200.00 and going up quite a bit from there depending on condition.

Since Pietta ceased production of both SA and DA models, I feel fortunate to have stumbled across one NIB for a reasonable price! I will share some more photos when I get it in hand.
For your entertainment, here is Clint Eastwood as William Munny in "Unforgiven" shooting a Starr DA...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaGbHX4knV4
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#20 Post by Graps »

That looks like a honey. ;)

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”