Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Graps

Re: Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#31 Post by Graps »

Hay Kirk, he didn't ask for excuses.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#32 Post by Shadowhntr »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#33 Post by Captainkirk »

Ya, know...you're right. So without further ado...

Details? You want details? OK, then here ya go...

First of all, from the looks of this thing it would appear to be very gawky and awkward, and feel strange in the hand (at least compared to your garden variety Colt or Remington). Not. It's quite pleasant to hold and the grip fills the hand quite nicely. It's surprisingly well-balanced even with it's 8-inch barrel (from muzzle to forcing cone) and the round barrel is pleasingly tapered. Balance is very good as is weight. While "Duelist" complained about the very long, somewhat awkward hammer reach, I experienced no such issues (though it is longer than a Colt or Remington). Lock-up is very positive due to the wedge shaped bolt and cylinder leades (which, if you noticed, there are 12 rather than 6...which give you a true safe lock-up between chambers). The coolest part of this gun, quite frankly, is the thumbscrew which upon removal allows you to break the action like a Smith & Wesson Schofield for cylinder removal; even if it does nothing to aid loading, it's still off-scale on a "cool factor". Trigger pull is very pleasant with a very short throw. The hammer face is flat with no crevices to snag caps and drop them into the action (as on Colts, also known as "cap-sucking")and if it did, there are no openings on the action for them to drop into. Some photos...

The basic action. Note the extra notches cut into the cylinder to add a safe locked position out of battery...

Hammer face & profile...

Front sight, dovetailed for windage adjustment...

Loading lever arrangement, very much like an early Colt setup (e.g. 1851 Navy)

Trigger position at full cock (note the short trigger throw in full cock position)

Loading lever appears plenty long for leverage...

...although the catch release pin is sharp and can snag on clothing or gunleather...

The stocks are nice, a one-piece affair, with a rounded butt and no bottom strap as on a Colt or Remington.

Here's the thumbscrew that holds it together...

...when removed, it allows it to break like a S&W Schofield...

...for easy cylinder removal.

The grip spur. Looks uncomfortable but in truth, feels just fine!

Of course, the proof is in the pudding. I won't know how this thing REALLY handles until I've shot it, but I have a feeling I won't be disappointed.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#34 Post by Graps »

:? I think something is wrong with it, there's holes in it.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#35 Post by Captainkirk »

graps wrote::? I think something is wrong with it, there's holes in it.
Yeah, and the barrel appears to be broken. It's pointing down in that next to last picture.
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#36 Post by Shadowhntr »

O-man! What a sweetheart!!!! Now that's what I'm talking about kirk! Never seen one before but its really good Looking! Thanks for sharing!!!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#37 Post by Graps »

Well Kirk, you could send it to me and I could weld it back together for you. :roll:

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#38 Post by Captainkirk »

Shadowhntr wrote:O-man! What a sweetheart!!!! Now that's what I'm talking about kirk! Never seen one before but its really good Looking! Thanks for sharing!!!
You fellers are easily entertained.
Allow me...

Here are a couple of Armi San Paolo Colt 1860 Army models in .44 caliber. One was a kit I built and the other was about done in when I got it. That one went to Goon's Gun Works for a complete makeover and now sports the sweetest action you've ever seen.

Pair of ASP Colt Army repros...top is the kit gun I built, bottom is the Goon's rework...

This is the kit gun

Jason, wipe that slobber off'n yer chin.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#39 Post by Longtrad »

I don't know anything about BP guns but I can sure appreciate a fine collection! what got you started in old school pistoles? reading through this thread I cant help but think of old clint eastwood films.

Graps

#40 Post by Graps »

Ah yes , The Good, The bad, and The Kir.... I mean The ugly.... :lol:

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”