Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Graps

Re: Black Powder-the Trad Archery of Guns

#46 Post by Graps »

Made me an antler handle flash pan whisk broom.
Attachments
20180217_001527~01.jpg
20180217_001527~01.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 265 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#47 Post by Shadowhntr »

Nice work Graps. When you say ball board, is that to hold them say on a flat surface like a table top to keep them from rolling off? Or am I way off? :lol:
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Graps

#48 Post by Graps »

A ball board is used in conjunction with a patch knife.
You short start a ball with a patch strip. Then cut the patch flush with the board using the patch knife.
This is done to center the patch perfectly on the ball and it saves the gun muzzle from getting the blue damaged while cutting the patch at the muzzle.
The reason for three holes; when shooting in a blanket shoot, there is usually two or three targets at each station.
So Jason, the ball is held tight in the board with the patch.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#49 Post by Captainkirk »

I use pre-cut and prelubed patches, but I can see the usefulness of a nice ball board if cutting from pillow ticking.
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#50 Post by Graps »

In this fast paced world that we live in, it's nice to have something that slows us down.
That's the beauty of a good flintlock rifle.
To be outside shooting a flinter, the pace is slow and the time between shots is a moment of interacting with a good friend.
You take time to clean between shots and get the powder measures just right, patch the ball, short start and gently seat the ball down on the powder charge.
Then making sure the touch hole is clear and the flash pan is cleaned out, you put the charging powder on the flash pan, just enough to do the job and not cover the touch hole.
You also pay attention to the flint, that it is sharp and aligned up roperly.......
Even the actual shot takes a little time.
You draw up, pull the set trigger, settle into the sight picture and slightly squeeze the trigger.
Then the hammer drops, the charging powder flashes, the main charg goes off and that gentle shove against your shoulder with that all too familiar boom.
And you still have to wait until the smoak clears to see the results of the shot.....
Even when your shooting session is done, there is still care to clean it all up and put it away so carefully....
Yeah, you are spending good quality time with a good friend.
In this fast paced life, it's very good therapy.....

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#51 Post by Captainkirk »

Yeah...
Like I said, the trad archery of guns...
Aim small, miss small!

Shadowhntr

#52 Post by Shadowhntr »

Thats about how my BP shooting went graps....

Something tells me them ol boys of old, fighting wars with them things didn't take the extra time or the careful precautions, and Id be willing to bet they wished they could be faster!

.....sure am glad we ain't fighting wars with them and can just enjoy!
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#53 Post by Captainkirk »

Well, yeah...but remember they were armed with the same equipment. An Indian with a bow could outshoot a man with a flintlock 10 times over.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#54 Post by Captainkirk »

Oh, and that new Starr? Loving it more every day. It is quickly becoming a favorite.
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#55 Post by Captainkirk »

A while back, I had promised some photos of my Rogers & Spencer. I was surprised to see an old post with pictures from Pissbucket still showing up. I will attempt to copy the post and paste it here, but don't be surprised if the images disappear as so many other have done. Here goes nothing...

Been wanting one of these for, well...a long time. Finally got the opportunity, and it turned out to be a pristine, unfired Euroarms version. Still haven't fired it yet. It's kinda like having an unopened comic book. But I know I can't hold out much longer; I get weaker every time I pack up for the range!

Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”