New-kew-ler skeeters?

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

New-kew-ler skeeters?

#1 Post by Captainkirk »

I don't get it...this year, having been out back shooting nearly every night around dusk, I've received more than my fair share of mosquito bites. This year something is different...the bites are turning into huge welts roughly the size of a penny, itch like crazy, and take like a week to go away. Is this like Peter Parker getting bitten by a radioactive spider and becoming Spider Man? Am I gonna turn into Skeeter Man? :shock:
Seriously though, either I've become allergic to mosquito bites or sump'n ain't right with them skeeters... :?
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

Re: New-kew-ler skeeters?

#2 Post by Graps »

You might be becoming more sensitive than you used to be.
People react to them differently, I have seen some that swell up like half a Ping-Pong ball and others that don't seem to have any affect at all.
Same with black flies. I get bit and I have a small irritation and I remember my grandfather could get bit on the back of his hand and his hand would swell up like inflating a rubber glove.
In short, BEATS ME. :lol:
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Shadowhntr

#3 Post by Shadowhntr »

Better start protecting yourself better Kirk. West Nile is going around bad right now.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

Longtrad

#4 Post by Longtrad »

I went through a spell when I was younger when mosquito bites would make me swell up like crazy and leave me with big ol goose eggs where ever I got bit, luckily I dont have that problem anymore.

White Falcon

#5 Post by White Falcon »

" Thermacell " !

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

It may have been a wetter year than normal and they are hatching more in the water that collects more than other years. Do they fog in your town?
It could well be your body is more sensitive now than in the past. There could also be another strain of mosquito or insect in the area.

I remember once on the farm, after turkey hunting, I got out the fishing pole and the crappie were biting like crazy in the farm pond.
The kids were jumping across the way on their trampoline and the Beach Boys were playing along with the gnats biting.
I was enjoying the afternoon so much, I ignored the gnats until later on my face began to glow. :oops:

You may be ignoring the bites cause you're enjoying your shooting and getting bit more than a more normal person would :( ,
who gets up off their chair on the porch and goes inside when the skeeters start to bite. Or take the advice above and repel the little boogers.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Longtrad

#7 Post by Longtrad »

Most of the time I'd rather endure the skeeter bites than the nasty deet bug spray but I am starting to change my mind because of all the illness those bugs can carry. Last year a local guy came down with west nile and it made him real sick. Paralyzed him for awhile and nearly killed him. I have heard of other people getting it and only having bad cold or flu like symptoms. Not sure why it affects some more than others.

Lowcountry

#8 Post by Lowcountry »

I too have seen a change with the mosquitos. Their bites don't seem to be any different than years past, but the numbers and their aggressiveness has definitely changed for the worst. In the past, I would put out my thermacell in the backyard for 5 minutes and then go shoot with no problems. This year, the thermacell just isn't working very well in the backyard. I've also found that the mosquitos will find the one half square inch of exposed skin without repellant on it. They have been TERRIBLE this year.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

I have a brand-new can of Deepwoods Off with DEET in it. Problem is, unless you go in and wash every trace of it off your hands after applying it, it turns the glossy finish on the risers of the old Bears sticky and somewhat cloudy. It seems to go away if you clean and polish after shooting...temporarily. I can't say what long term effect would be. Likely not good.
But yes, West Nile has been detected in this area. Might be best to try to shoot a little earlier in addition to applying DEET.
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#10 Post by Longtrad »

I sometimes like to take a piece of bike innertube and roll it onto my riser as a grip, easy on easy off, and protects the bow from bug spray and wedding rings.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”