My new 62 caliber flintlock rifle!

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
dhaverstick

My new 62 caliber flintlock rifle!

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

A little over a month ago I had a feller, Mike Delougherty, contact me after reading my traditional muzzleloader article in the 11/18 issue of "Fur-Fish-Game" magazine. He said he had a left-handed 62 flinter that really wanted to go moose hunting and wanted to know if I could give it a new home. Mike had it custom made back in 1986 for elk hunting but was not able to do that sort of thing anymore and he wanted the gun to go to someone who would use it. He sent me some photos of the rifle and the first thing I liked about it was that the barrel was only 30" long. All my longrifles are truly "looong" and I thought this gun would be ideal for toting around in the brush, my preferred place to hunt. His price was certainly reasonable and since he lives about 3 hours from me, we set up a date to rendezvous so I could see the rifle in person.

I drove to his place Friday and couldn't have been happier with what I found. The rifle is in excellent condition! Mike even showed me the antlers off the 2 bull elk he had killed with it. The bonus was all the stuff Mike gave me in addition to the rifle. I got several cans of different grade powders, balls, shot, ball molds, a melting pot, lead, and a bunch of tools. He even threw in an old rusty barrel and stock from the mid 1800's. They aren't anything usable but they sure do make a great conversation piece!

I still have a couple of firearm seasons left in Missouri that I can try this baby out in. I sure would like to christen it properly!

Darren

Here are all the extras: two boxes of stuff, a big can of shot, and a bag of lead.

stumper

Re: My new 62 caliber flintlock rifle!

#2 Post by stumper »

Wow... I am really wanting to get into black powder one of these days. You sure got a deal.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

Wow, that's neat.
Makes me more anxious to get my Tennessee Mountain .54 done.
Thanks for sharing.
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

White Falcon

#4 Post by White Falcon »

Very nice looking gun!

Cookies

#5 Post by Cookies »

What a lovely piece. Theres something so - i don't know, Zen? - about the idea of black powder. Almost meditative. That's a beauty of a gun Darren, congratulations!

dhaverstick

#6 Post by dhaverstick »

Cookies wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:49 am What a lovely piece. Theres something so - i don't know, Zen? - about the idea of black powder. Almost meditative. That's a beauty of a gun Darren, congratulations!
The thing I like about black powder the most is it forces you to slow down. For me, it takes a while to measure out powder, get all my load ingredients in order, and shove them down the barrel. My snail-like pace at doing this slows down every other aspect of my hunt which helps me experience a lot of things that I would have otherwise missed.

Darren

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

I'm happy for you. That was a very nice, generous gesture.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Graps

#8 Post by Graps »

Well said Darren. 👍
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Dan

#9 Post by Dan »

That’s cool 👍👍

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#10 Post by Captainkirk »

You guys know how I feel about black powder...and that one is a beauty, Darren. Maybe that will light a fire under Graps' feet and get him cranking on his kit!
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”