Maybe pushing the traditional envelope

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Grizzly

Re: Maybe pushing the traditional envelope

#41 Post by Grizzly »

What has already been said may all be part of it, but there is another aspect to why they may consider us unethical hunters. Go to a 3d shoot alone with your traditional gear and try to join in with another compound shooter or shooters. If they don't know you, it will be awkward and we may not no why. If you press them, or later, if you do join them and you impress them with your shooting, you will find out that they really don't want to wait at each target as the traditional guys go back behind each target and search for their arrows. That is what they are accustomed to seeing with traditional shooters. They will come up on their next 3d target and have to wait till the group comes out of the bushes with or without a missing arrow or arrows. When they see this often enough, you can see why they would come to the conclusion that as a group, we may well be wounding or missing many shots at deer.

I never realized this until one day I did ask a compound shooter if he wanted to go around the coarse together. I could tell he was uneasy with the idea, but agreed. On the first target, we scored even. The second target was a moving deer on a cable. I had a nice nimble 54" Browning Safari 1 that day and outscored him. All the way around the coarse I was scoring kills or 10's with only an occasional wounding, and at the end, he shook my hand and told me why he was so hesitant. He was not accustomed to seeing one of us consistently make killing shots on 3d animals.

Listen to the excuses on some of the other forums for poor shooting. Things like, hunting shots are different than 3d shots (target shooting). Well that me be so if the coarse was set up long and challenging, but most are not and many turn in some pretty poor performances, yet they claim that when they are hunting, everything changes. Really? I've never experienced that. I suppose some may just not like shooting in public with others watching and commenting like we tend to do when we all get together. Fun, ain't it?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

joe harrod1945

#42 Post by joe harrod1945 »

I have shot many 3d targets with my grand son an son.They shoot compounds.They ask me how far is that target.I tell them I really do not know.Then how do you hit the vitals most of the time.Guess i am just lucky.They have those real high dollar bows an arrows an they are always adjusting some thing.I ask them if they want to shoot another round they say no we are ready to go home.You can not tell them any thing.Because they know it all so i stopped saying any thing.This is December the 11 bucks are chasing does.It is hard to pick the wright spot to hunt with a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#43 Post by Captainkirk »

joe harrod1945 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:09 pm I have shot many 3d targets with my grand son an son.They shoot compounds.They ask me how far is that target.I tell them I really do not know.Then how do you hit the vitals most of the time.Guess i am just lucky.They have those real high dollar bows an arrows an they are always adjusting some thing.I ask them if they want to shoot another round they say no we are ready to go home.You can not tell them any thing.Because they know it all so i stopped saying any thing.This is December the 11 bucks are chasing does.It is hard to pick the wright spot to hunt with a bow.
Tell me about it, Joe! Can't tell them young'uns anything! :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Graps

#44 Post by Graps »

Charlie_Brown_large.jpg
Charlie_Brown_large.jpg (8.58 KiB) Viewed 67 times
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”