Maybe pushing the traditional envelope

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Maybe pushing the traditional envelope

#31 Post by Captainkirk »

Dan, while we don't specifically forbid discussions about compound bows, we do ask that they be limited to the Off Topic Discussion area, same as you would with a thread about your dog, or boat, or new rifle.
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#32 Post by Grizzly »

Yup. I didn't realize that distinction either until just now. My gun thread was moved there also. Ii'll try to watch that more closely.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

joe harrod1945

#33 Post by joe harrod1945 »

This onieda bow is nothing but a compound bow.The need for speed has caused a lot of confusion in the archery world.A 150 fps bow will kill a deer.It is like the old farmer went to a pool room to shoot pool. He had a tobacco stick to shoot pool.when every thing was done. He won every game he played true story.The point is no matter what bow you have if you shoot it many many times in practice you will get good.I am a self taught traditional bow shooter an proud of it.

Shadowhntr

#34 Post by Shadowhntr »

Couldn't agree more joe. You should see the faces of the fellas I run into who shoot fast heavy draw weight compounds when I tell them I shoot 40-45 lb longbows AND that most always the arrow makes it through the deer. They shake their heads in disbelief because they've been trained that high weights mean speed and speed kills. I think they have a hard time coping with the idea my arrow going 150 fps blast right through. Then I like jacking with their minds by showing them pictures. 😁
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

joe harrod1945

#35 Post by joe harrod1945 »

Jason they think that if you do not shoot a compound bow your not a ethical bow hunter.Our definition of a ethical bow hunter is not taking unreasonable shots.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#36 Post by Captainkirk »

joe harrod1945 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:56 am Jason they think that if you do not shoot a compound bow your not a ethical bow hunter.Our definition of a ethical bow hunter is not taking unreasonable shots.
You can frame that quote and hang it on the wall, Joe. Nailed it.
Aim small, miss small!

White Falcon

#37 Post by White Falcon »

Agree!

Shadowhntr

#38 Post by Shadowhntr »

I dont understand why they'd ever think me or my bow unethical....my deer get hit, run, and fall dead... just exactly like theirs do. Most of my kills I've watched them as they went down....a handful didnt even make 20 yards.
The element of surprise can never be replaced by persistence.

stumper

#39 Post by stumper »

Shadowhntr wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:25 pm I dont understand why they'd ever think me or my bow unethical....my deer get hit, run, and fall dead... just exactly like theirs do. Most of my kills I've watched them as they went down....a handful didnt even make 20 yards.
They have been conditioned by the millions of dollars in advertising that is spend by compound bow industry each year. They all bow to the gods of speed and sacrifice their offerings of quietness at the alter.

Much how the advent of cell phones has taken away the need to remember numbers the compound bow has decreased the need to estimate Range and created a world where we wonder how we ever got along without it. If you ask me the answer is we got along just fine.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#40 Post by Captainkirk »

Flemish Dave wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:54 pm
Shadowhntr wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:25 pm I dont understand why they'd ever think me or my bow unethical....my deer get hit, run, and fall dead... just exactly like theirs do. Most of my kills I've watched them as they went down....a handful didnt even make 20 yards.
They have been conditioned by the millions of dollars in advertising that is spend by compound bow industry each year. They all bow to the gods of speed and sacrifice their offerings of quietness at the alter.

Much how the advent of cell phones has taken away the need to remember numbers the compound bow has decreased the need to estimate Range and created a world where we wonder how we ever got along without it. If you ask me the answer is we got along just fine.
...or, perhaps, better. Watching old movies of Fred Bear nail a grizzly bear at point blank range with no sights and no wheels made me realize ho unnecessary all that stuff really is.
Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”