1st Generation Bulldog .44 Special

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
Grizzly

1st Generation Bulldog .44 Special

#1 Post by Grizzly »

After all that research, looking at all the small revolvers for another edc, I saw this package on Gun Broker and all the planning went out the window. I've always liked a small 3" revolver barrel since the days when I bought my wife a new pinned barrel 3" Smith and Wesson model 36 in .38 special.. That one was traded years ago, never dreaming that Illinois would ever allow concealed carry.

Well I had my 9mm and my .380 and the .38 Taurus snub I bought had a barrel screwed in crooked and got pawned, so I was searching for it's replacement. This package, with a Mernickle 3 slot modified pancake holster and another leather iwb holster plus 4 boxes of ammo and a speed strip turned up. Being an old tight wad, I hated to bid up to the $405. this package cost, but this old 1st generation Charter Arms is still in excellent condition. It came out of years and years in a safe, virtually unfired. Then the new owner ran about 75 rounds threw it and outfitted it with holsters and such before deciding he wanted a .45 It may kick like a mule, but I can reload to tame it down and get a set of Pachmayer Compacts for it if I can find some on sale somewhere. Wish me luck. These were made on their undercover sized frame that was opened up for the larger .44 cylinder. The length of the frame and grip remained the same. Very lightweight. Even though it is mostly steel construction, with an aluminum grip frame, it is actually an ounce or two lighter than what my wife's gun was. I wish they made a steel grip frame to swap out, but I don't think they ever did. I may call Charter Arms to find out. Great for carry, not so great for a range toy, but effectively usable I hope for a cylinder or two.
pix722414493.jpg
pix722414493.jpg (111.66 KiB) Viewed 256 times
pix729870987.jpg
pix729870987.jpg (139.39 KiB) Viewed 256 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

White Falcon

Re: 1st Generation Bulldog .44 Special

#2 Post by White Falcon »

Sweet!

Graps

#3 Post by Graps »

I think that was a good deal.👍
"Maybe the truly handicapped people are the ones that don't need God as much." ~ Joni Eareckson Tada

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#4 Post by Captainkirk »

"Berkowitz Special"? :shock:
Yes, I'm old enough to remember in detail.
Aim small, miss small!

Elkman
Site Admin

#5 Post by Elkman »

Very nice!
Calling Elk - Awesome! !€

Grizzly

#6 Post by Grizzly »

Thanks guys. I paid on Sat. night and just received an email with photos showing two boxes all packed with shipping labels for 3 day Priority mail. The firearm is going to a local ffl dealer and the other stuff is coming directly to me. Looks like I'm getting Christmas early this year. The downside? Even though I had funds to pay for it, half came from the Taurus, I think I'm going to sell the Winchester octagonal 26" 30-30 Canadian Centennial Commemorative made in 1967. I bought that one back when we were having the long range events at the Cowboy shoots. I've got a first place trophy with it from a regional event. The most fun I had with it was at a Buffalo shoot. It was only for rimmed cartridge rifles, shooting at a set of steel silhouette targets and one "Big" steel buffalo that my 30-30 never could knock over - even when I loaded some 165 gr spitzers as hot as I dared. All targets were set at 200 yards and we fired 5 rounds each from multiple positions in stages. My favorite shot was the chicken from the standing off hand position. I was like a little kid whenever I made that shot. My local gunsmith, Bill Oglesby told me to cool it before I stretched the frame with the slighly warm loads I had. I asked him if he could do a trigger job on the '94 and he warned that that was a difficult operation and said he'd try it, but no guarantees. It now has a beautifully light and crisp trigger for a lever gun along with a receiver - peep sight I installed. I'd always hoped that Illinois would allow lever rifles in the deer season, but no such luck. Since I don't shoot it anymore, I guess I'll sell it.
003.jpg
003.jpg (88.04 KiB) Viewed 236 times
6237090_02_winchester_model_94_canadian_c_640.jpg
6237090_02_winchester_model_94_canadian_c_640.jpg (30.25 KiB) Viewed 236 times
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (6.83 KiB) Viewed 236 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#7 Post by Captainkirk »

Man, oh man...what a beauty, Craig!
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#8 Post by Longtrad »

What a nice rifle. The old winchesters are some of my personal favorites. One of these days I need to add one of their 30 30 lever guns to my collection.

Since the bow hobby started the fire arm hobby has been on the back burner though.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#9 Post by Captainkirk »

Longtrad wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:47 am Since the bow hobby started the fire arm hobby has been on the back burner though.
Loud and clear on that one, buddy!
Aim small, miss small!

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

Funny how that works out. I'm now occupied with concealed carry and the different pieces of gear needed along with some more training. I think I have all the bows I'll ever need or want considering my body is on the downhill, as my daughter once informed me :roll: . Oh the love.........

Most of the firearms were bought with a specific purpose in mind. The real heartbreaker will be when I decide to part with Dad's old skeet and skeet Belgium Browning Superposed 12 guage. Not only is that a beauty, but it comes alive for me when I shot it. Those days are gone also, along with most of my hearing.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”