1st Generation Bulldog .44 Special

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
White Falcon

Re: 1st Generation Bulldog .44 Special

#31 Post by White Falcon »

I like my Rugers.

stumper

#32 Post by stumper »

I have always liked rugers and love my lcr. But I have recently had three poor guns from Ruger and won't order another.
Nothing clears a troubled mind like shooting a bow.

Grizzly

#33 Post by Grizzly »

I've heard that lately about Ruger. I've had more than a few, but I'm down to one, no two. I've had the same thing happen with new Smith & Wesson revolvers and with one Taurus 85. They just don't take the time to get the barrels straight. My Bulldog is back at Charter Arms for the third time. They are supposed to re-barrel it this time. I sent them a copy of the latest target. I shot that single action off of a bench and a little portable rest at 5, 10, 15 & 20 yards. You can see how every 5 yards, the point of impact moves to the left. It's done that since i got it with a few different grips and all kinds of varying hand pressures. I think they just rifled the barrel at an angle and not straight. But, I still enjoy it as a light carry gun. You just have to keep a couple of screw drivers handy, because with that light a weight with a heavy bullet, it shoots all the screws loose after a box or two. They are not range toys, but a pleasure to carry. Besides, I just like revolvers even though I probably have an equal number of autos and revolvers.

.44 Special is easy to reload for, but expensive if you have to buy new. I was lucky and had all the components on hand from a few magnums years ago. Someone left a couple of boxes of brass on the range, so I was all set. Plus it came with five different boxes of new ammo. Two good Carry loads.

Which Tracker did you get. They've been around a long time. I wish you good luck with it. I think we all need some luck lately with any brand.
Target 3.jpg
Target 3.jpg (89.23 KiB) Viewed 118 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#34 Post by stumper »

I got the 4 inch blued model. Luckily I reload 44 already have dies bullets and brass.

Only bad thing I've read about the tracker is that it has smaller cylinder so heavy loads can be too long for them. Almost all all factory ammo works and reloads under 1.625 work. The long reloads are usually 1.645 according to Lyman.

Grizzly

#35 Post by Grizzly »

That looks interesting. 5 rounds, med frame 35 ounces. That's about what my 19 used to weight. Nice. You may be glad it won't load those long 300+ grain loads. If you just want the weight of that round, how hard can you push it and still fit the cylinder? I can't imagine using them. I had great results with 180 XTPs on big Illinois does loaded hot. Even my old hot load would be a handful - but your young and will enjoy it.
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

stumper

#36 Post by stumper »

So I ordered the tracker on Monday and it came in yesterday! Hot dog!!! Very impressed with the quality. Lock-up is tight as any Smith I have had , finish is superior to the last Ruger I had and the trigger is surprisingly good. Single action is light, crisp with no post travel, Double action is smooth all the way through with no grit and I suspect it will continue to improve as I shoot it. All seems well and despite what the internet has said about the tracker cylinder length as well, my 1.645 handloads of full house magnums actually fit nicely.

Hoping to get to the Sheriff's Range today to fire off a few magnum and special loads I have for it.

Grizzly

#37 Post by Grizzly »

Excellent. I'm happy you received a really good one. Now for the range report. I've got my fingers in my ears, knowing how load that's going to be, esp. with those ports. My ears have taken such a beating over the years that I really wish I'd been more careful. Some noise was unavoidable, but some I could have taken more care and have prevented some damage to the ears. Now, even with my low pressure special loads, I wear plugs and muffs. Wishing you a great relaxing day at the range. Tear the X out of that target.

stumper

#38 Post by stumper »

Unfortunately none of the target ranges were open I had to use the steel range which was amazing. The gun fired flawlessly with the Magnums and was downright Pleasant plinker with the special loads. Shooting dead center but pretty high however I will wait till I can put it on paper before adjusting the sights. Initial accuracy seems to be wonderful and was able to consistently hit a 4 inch plate at 25 yds freehand which is more than I could say for my Ruger Blackhawk.

Recoil wise the Magnums were not bad at all but you definitely knew you shot something. I assume the porting is really helping the recoil. It's actually only a three inch barrel. The last inch is an empty chamber with the ports kind of like a muzzle brake. First cylinder of Magnums I checked every round after every shot with a dial Caliper and the round seem to be holding which was a concern with how light the firearm is. I'll do a paper Target report when me and Will are able to get to the range.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#39 Post by Captainkirk »

You know the rules, Dave. No pix, never happened! :lol:
Aim small, miss small!

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#40 Post by Captainkirk »

Since we are talking about things that belch smoke and fire...

My latest 'score'...

Navy Arms 1866 Winchester 'Yellow Boy' in cal. .44-40WCF
More pix available on request.

Aim small, miss small!

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”