Got my new hogleg yesterday!

Anything that has Nothing to do with archery!
Forum rules
No political rants, discussion or arguing.
dhaverstick

Got my new hogleg yesterday!

#1 Post by dhaverstick »

This here is a 54 caliber rifled pistol made by my good friend, John Pruitt. It has a 12" Green Mountain barrel, a large Siler lock, and the walnut stock is out of a tree off my family farm. John likes adding the osage trim just to make it pretty.

I called up Ryan at Muzzleloader Builder's Supply in mid December and told him I needed him to send John the parts to make me a pistol. I picked out the barrel and lock kit and Ryan picked out all the rest. Of course, ole John wasn't satisfied with a lot of what he received so he picked out his own stuff and had Ryan send it while he sent the rejects back. In just a few short weeks, he had the pistol finished and told me he was holding it hostage until payment was made for services rendered. Fortunately, I know the way to John's heart and that is right through his stomach. I sent him 4 sticks of venison summer sausage that I had just finished making, a couple pounds of venison breakfast sausage, and 8 dozen homemade cookies. Both parties were pleased with the deal!

I'm heading to my farm this weekend for one last round of bowhunting. I'm bringing this baby along to make some smoke!

Darren

Captainkirk
Site Admin

Re: Got my new hogleg yesterday!

#2 Post by Captainkirk »

Oh, soooo-weet! You know I have a weakness for BP, Darren!
Aim small, miss small!

Longtrad

#3 Post by Longtrad »

cool! I bet that baby will be a lot of fun.

Carpdaddy
Site Admin

#4 Post by Carpdaddy »

Nice! Haven’t handled one of those in a few years.

Grizzly

#5 Post by Grizzly »

She's a beauty. Enjoy.

I've never shot one of those and wondered what it would feel like. Then I remembered a cut down M2 fully auto Carbine I had in VN for a while before I found a folding stock model. I think I paid 25 piasters for it. That wasn't much - $5.00 maybe? I can't remember the conversion rate. Pictures are hard to find of these, since BATF would lock you up, here at home. I searched the internet for this one.

So, that grip on yours seems universal. They say, there's nothing new under the sun. Make some smoke. :)
post-10825-0-17124200-1350948847.jpg
post-10825-0-17124200-1350948847.jpg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

dhaverstick

#6 Post by dhaverstick »

Very cool photo, Grizzly! I think yours would have a little more kick than mine due to less barrel weight.

Here's a photo of a 62 caliber smoothbore pistol that John made me a few years ago. It has the same lock and a 12" octagon-to-round barrel. I've killed several squirrels with it using shot instead of a PRB but no big game. I can't seem to get the accuracy with it that I want. That's the primary reason I had John make me the 54 with a rifled barrel. I'm hoping the rifling will improve my groups. Or, it could be that I'm just a really bad shot with a pistol!

Darren

Grizzly

#7 Post by Grizzly »

yup, on full auto it was a bad joke.

That must be so much fun. Not having shot one like yours, I can only imagine how you would hold this. When I shot in the discontinued Masters Pistol competition Smith and Wesson Sonsored at the PASA club, I used a 14" Contenter in 7mm TCU. We had to hit targets from 75 yards out to 200. The longer targets could be take from any position you chose, using only your body for a rest. But the 75 and 100 yard shots had to be taken standing, off hand. Which is what you must do, unless of coarse you take a rest on something. Eventually guys took advantage of the rules and worked on different stocks and even building around AR-15 platforms.

Do you use two hands on that with one supporting the stock when shooting offhand? I remember in a fit of craziness holding a 14" 30-30 contender with one hand and shooting a 100 yard target. I hit it, but the effect upon my wrist was not good. But I had to know if it was a lucky shot or not, so I did it once more and never again. Hit it. But as you say, recoil is much less with yours and with the smoke and all, more fun.

I sure hope you get the accuracy you are after. I can see how a 12" .62 caliber smooth bore might not shoot any cloverleafs. But with shot, what a hoot. What is that, about like a 20 gauge short?
Jesus replaces the old covenant and speaks to the believer the moral code of God by His Spirit directly to the heart. He is the eternal, everlasting revelation of God to mankind. In Him is both the knowledge of righteousness and the power to live right.

Captainkirk
Site Admin

#8 Post by Captainkirk »

I have something similar, a Lyman Plains Pistol in .50.
Accuracy is quite astounding compared to what one might think it should be.

Aim small, miss small!

dhaverstick

#9 Post by dhaverstick »

I hear good things about those Lyman pistols, Kirk. My dad just traded for one in 50 caliber but he hasn't shot it enough to say what he thinks.

When I shoot shot out of that 62 pistol, I usually use 3/4 oz. #6 shot over 40 grains of FFF, an overpowder card, and a 1/4" lubed fiber wad.

Darren

Grizzly

#10 Post by Grizzly »

That's quite the squirrel gun. I hope there's a combination out there you will find it likes for accuracy. Your .54 is a real beauty.

Return to “Off-Topic Discussion”